News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Does Simutrans Auto-Update?

Started by Bub, July 18, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

I was wondering if Simutrans Auto-updates, because I had version 102.2.2, and it seemed that I missed version 102.5, now, I have version 110.0.1, and I would like to know if my game can auto-update, and if it can, how can I enable auto-updating?

Václav

You did not miss version 102.5 - because this number of version was not used. But if am not wrong, Simutrans has not self-update mechanism.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

jamespetts

Vaclav is correct - Simutrans does not auto update. Watch out for new versions on the Information and Announcements board.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

arnoud

Václav

I am not programmer but regardless of it I am worried about that it is not so easy to prepare auto update mechanism when game has been for more than one OS.

transporter

Would it have to be for all OSs? There's already a downloader to install simutrans for windows, would it be possible to add to that a "check for new executable" extension that replaces (and maybe archives to another folder) the older file?

Václav

???
I know about that Windows utility for Simutrans - but it is not auto-update too. It only makes downloading Simutrans simplier.

-->
Admins, I think this topic would fit to Help requests board.

arnoud

Quote from: transporter on July 19, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
(and maybe archives to another folder) the older file?
And what if you didn't have enough space?

Lmallet

Um, I will let a dev give a better answer, but from my experience, some upgrades are actually so important that old saved games will stop working.  In this case, auto-update would be a bad idea...

transporter

That's a good point...if only there was someone who archived the complete sets as they get replaced.

And the simutrans executable is small enough that it shouldn't matter for a while. If it becomes implemented, maybe there could be an option to either keep or delete the old one

prissi

Auto update would be only relevant for servers, since simutrans has no network functionality that can be used for braking into a computer and most known bugs are rather minor for years. And as soon as you do onlyine games, you need to have a curretn client that matches the server.