News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

First Steam Train

Started by Leeway, August 14, 2011, 08:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leeway

Hi all. I was looking though the trains available in the game when it suddenly struck me. Why is the world's first steam powered locomotive not in the game?

It is the "Trevithick" locomotive. It run from Merthyr Tydfil to Abercycon carrying iron and some passangers in 1804. (Not sure if the information is 100% right. It's been awhile since I've seen the Replica locomotive or read anything about it.)

Leeway.

sdog

Wikipedia on that locomotive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Trevithick#The_.22Pen-y-Darren.22_locomotive

speculating why it was not included:
It was only running once, since it broke the plateway, perhaps that's the reason it is not included in the pak. A reason for not including might be that it took another 20 years until steam locomotives were reliable enough for more prolonged use. This can't be properly addressed in a pakset though. The consequence of including the Trevithick locomotive would be having it take over transport ten years early.

On the other hand, 10 t @ <4 km/h is maybe not a big competition for other forms of transport. However since the lowest speed in the game is 4km/h you could put an arbitrary number of wagons without it slowing down, thus some though would need to be put into it, to avoid abuse.

The Hood

Sdog pretty much has it - along with the fact that the Trevithick loco relied on cogs on the rails too which subsequent ones did not.

Leeway

I understand now why it wasn't included in the pak. But as sdog said it could still be included, but you could put a short life on it maybe 5 to 10 years to reflect the fact that it wasn't successful then it can be retired. Another reason why I'd like to see it in the game is because I grew up (and still live in) Merthyr Tydfil and I see images of the locomotive everytime I go into town and live about a mile from the Taff trail (The route that the locomotive followed).

Leeway.