News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Join game #2 on moblet.simutrans.entropy.me.uk here

Started by moblet, August 15, 2011, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonjo

Yes. I have no problem with linux version.
Your lag maybe caused by a slow machine, not operating system problem.
When I use pentium4 computer, it can take 1-5 minutes to respond, both windows and linux.

Ashley

You might also want to try increasing the value of the "additional_client_frames_behind" setting in simuconf.tab, as this can help with latency issues on the client side. I already have the server equivalent set higher than the default.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

rainer

Quote from: moblet on August 18, 2011, 06:13:13 AM
What spec machine are you running?

cat /proc/cpuinfo

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2399.741
cache size      : 512 KB
(...)

The machine has four of these CPUs (which won't help as Simutrans doesn't multitask).

cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        6234832 kB
(...)

It is an old server. Believe me, it is strong enough. ;-)
Last year I did several stress tests for James (ST Exp) parallel without any hickup.

rainer

Quote from: Timothy on August 18, 2011, 07:46:14 AM
You might also want to try increasing the value of the "additional_client_frames_behind" (...)

Which value would you recommend?

Ashley

Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

rainer

Quote from: Timothy on August 18, 2011, 04:41:08 PM
Try 8.

Are you sure? It is 256 now...

[Edit] Forget it. Messed the values. Sorry.

[Edit] [ x ] changed value

I will give it another try when I am sitting at that machine. At the moment I am on the
road with a laptop and UMTS connection. No chance for now.

Ashley

Really? The default is zero, are you sure you checked "additional_client_frames_behind"?

rainer

Due to a hm... "interesting" thunderstorm I prefered to leave the park and went back to the office. Can't login at the game for testing as the password is changed meanwhile.

BTW: Did you ever thought about using #simutrans on irc.quakenet.org for all this kind of communication? Using the inline chat before login is not possible, and all the marks on the map... Well... ; - )

[Edit] Got new data. Logged in.

~/simutrans/config/simuconf.tab

additional_client_frames_behind = 8

Lag some 30 to 60 seconds. Still unplayable. Any more hints?

[Edit] Tried the values 12, 16 and 4 as well. Can't value the effect (if existing).
I will try to "rescue" the company in any way now. ; - )

Xelofino

So i joined succesfully, set name, set password. I will start a bit slowly because of my little knowledge about pak.128 . I look forward to a cool network game  :).

Xelofino

rainer

All tests with other values of additional_client_frames_behind haven't shown any result.
(It might be that the lag was 2 instead of 4 minutes or the like. I didn't measerud precisely.)

Workaround: I am doing some clicks, leave the game and reconnect. This is faster than waiting. : - /

Another strange effect: Obviosly the game is displayed at my client relevant slower (some 30 - 50%)
than normally. When I am wating some minutes, and reconnect, I do a "jump" in time.

Something's going wrong...

Any hints are welcome.

Vonjo

Quote from: rainer on August 18, 2011, 09:25:15 PM
Another strange effect: Obviosly the game is displayed at my client relevant slower (some 30 - 50%)
than normally. When I am wating some minutes, and reconnect, I do a "jump" in time.
Looks like your machine is too slow.

choro

I've just downloaded Simutrans 110 yesterday (after playing 102 for an year or so), and saw the new multiplayer feature. This server seems great to me, but (fix me if I'm wrong) it is already full (just logged in and saw the sign...).
Would it be possible to reserve a place in the next game you plan to create, if you do plan to do that?

moblet

Quote from: chor on August 20, 2011, 09:48:28 AMWould it be possible to reserve a place in the next game you plan to create, if you do plan to do that?
Of course. We can make as many regions as we have players up to the technical limit. We started this game for a maximum of eight because there were only three of us at first and we didn't know how many would want to join such a game. If we know the number of players for game #3 before we start, then that makes planning easier.

Game #2 is going well and we may be staying with it for some time, so if you would like to join in somehow, I would like to help. I am happy to give you some of my territory (East passengers, purple) if you would like that, but first, are any players in this game overloaded and want to give some work to a new player?

choro

Sure - I'd be happy to join this one. However, I am leaving home for a week tomorrow, so I'd rather join when I return on Friday. Would that be okay? (This would also leave other players the option to state they prefer giving some of their territory).

moblet

No problem. Post here when you get back and we'll work it out from there.

moblet

Have assigned you Player 3 and sent your password by PM. See you there!

choro

Can't send you a PM for some reason so posting here - I can't log in. I've downloaded the pak-set, but when typing the server address (moblet.simutrans.entropy.me.uk) it claims it uses pak64 and doesn't let me join. Any ideas what's wrong?

moblet

That's not the full server address. If you check "Show all" you should see it in the list, otherwise the full server name is moblet.simutrans.entropy.me.uk:13357

I'm getting no response from the server at present, hopefully you'll do better.

PM's are disabled by default due to problems that were had in the past. If you want to send them you need to request they be enabled for your account.

choro

Also not getting response, will try again later. Thanks for clarifying.

Ashley

Sorry the server has crashed and won't restart with the existing savegame. My guess is that the savegame has been corrupted (this happens every so often, especially with games which have been running for a couple of weeks and have been played a lot...)

Savegame is here:

http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/server13357-network.sve

See if you can load it locally, or it may help to diagnose issues.

moblet

Thanks Timothy. It won't open for me either. Nothing to do but start planning game #3, I guess...

Would it be possible to implement a system of alternating save names so that when this happens we can revert to the (n-1)th save?

Ashley

That would mean a code change to the game, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible to implement (maybe save each successive savegame in order, e.g. server<port>-network.sve, server<port>-network-1.sve, server<port>-network-2.sve etc.) Of course it'd need to rotate the saves too. Not impossible, after I finish rewriting the server listing stuff I'll take a look at this.

The log file is here in case someone wants to look into the cause of the crash:

http://entropy.me.uk/simutrans/simmoblet.log

Oh and I can start the server up again from the original save if you'd like for now?

Guillaume

I can't open it too  ::'(
Moblet's idea would be very good.
Moblet, for the game #3, I did a map just before starting the game #2, it's not finished, but almost ( several industries connections to add, public signs,...), I'll not start a new thread without your permission, I'm a little bored of the swiss map  ;)

moblet

Quote from: Timothy on August 26, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
Oh and I can start the server up again from the original save if you'd like for now?
Hold off for now thanks as we need to discuss and change some parameters, and will send you a new savegame.
Quote from: Guillaume on August 26, 2011, 01:16:36 PM
Moblet, for the game #3, I did a map just before starting the game #2, it's not finished, but almost ( several industries connections to add, public signs,...), I'll not start a new thread without your permission, I'm a little bored of the swiss map  ;)
I am also interested in having a range of good maps for netgames (I've been working on one too) but would like to run game #3 on the Swiss map again for the reason that we should learn as much as we can from this design before we develop more maps. I'm pretty sure Fifty feels the same way, especially as he did most of the work for the Swiss map. You should not get too bored if you work in a different territory ;) In the meantime I suggest showing your map on the forum for input from other players so we have it ready before we need it.

I will open a thread for game #3.

Vonjo

Quote from: Guillaume on August 26, 2011, 01:16:36 PM
I can't open it too  ::'(
Moblet's idea would be very good.
Moblet, for the game #3, I did a map just before starting the game #2, it's not finished, but almost ( several industries connections to add, public signs,...), I'll not start a new thread without your permission, I'm a little bored of the swiss map  ;)
Ok, may I know what pak is it?

yoshi

I have a savegame which was saved about 24 hours ago. Can the savegame be used to continue the game on the server?

Guillaume

That's a good new Yoshi !
Can you upload it ?

Vonjo: pak128

Vonjo

Thanks, Guillaume

@Yoshi: Great. Can you upload it? For my archive. I feel bad, because I lost my hard work... (Forgot to save it for backup) :D

Fifty

Fixed. Here's the save, working again:

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/server13357-network-fixed.sve

The save opened fine using nightly r4781. I opened it, changed the savegame version back to 110.1, and saved again. Presto! It works again with stable!

Timothy, provided it works for you, I think put this save online...
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Ashley

Thanks Fifty, I'll remember that trick for next time. Server is back up and running again :)

derajjared

good morning I want to play but so link is no longer anything., could put back the link to download the pak needed please

the password can be provided

Fifty

Hello derajjared,

There are currently no open spaces in this netgame, please sign up for a space in the next game.

A link to the pak needed is in the first post of this topic. Use the stable 110.1 executable.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

choro

The game just crashed again :(
Edit: I've got a savegame from ten minutes ago saved on my computer

Vonjo

I have savegame 5-10 minutes before crash, in case the save file corrupted again.
I got "segmentation fault" message in terminal before simutrans crashed.