News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

New animated water

Started by Fabio, November 02, 2011, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

I didn't like the animation for the ocean, so here's a new version:

water.zip

I made new outside graphics, too (flat water with much lower saturation):

outside.zip

DirrrtyDirk

Hi Fabio, both links point to the same file (water.zip)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

Link edited, thank you Dirk!

DirrrtyDirk

At first, I didn't notice there was any movement at all, as it is so subtle. :D But I gotta say I like it!

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

This is exactly the idea: the old flow was way to fast. Also, it was ok when moving towards the shore (i.e. shores facing North) or open sea, acceptable for shores facing E or W, awful for shores facing South (how can water flow so fast FROM the shore?)
Also the transition with the shoreline was too hard.
Now it moves NS much slower and it's acceptable for every shoreline.
I made it using a base water tile and animated layer with 30% transparency, with the same tile mirrored horizontally scrolling from N to S. I followed THIS TUTORIAL found on the net.

If you just changes the transparency of the "waves" layer to 40% the movement is much more noticeable, but IMHO it soesn't look good with the shore facing South.

prissi

If it moves too fast, why not just increase a little the animation time in the simuconf.tab?!?

VS

And break everything else? Or does it affect only some "globals" that don't have anim_speed? I can see that buildings and crossings have their own timing, but what about smokes etc.?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

VS

Perfect, thanks :) I can imagine Fabio will play a lot with this ;D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!