News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Simutrans Regular Graphics Contest - June

Started by sdog, April 13, 2011, 03:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Update:The submission period is now open, please post your entries in this thread. The submission period also has been increased by one week.

I would like to invite everyone to participate in the first SRGC graphics contest!

It is a competition for the finest in-game graphics for simutrans. The theme for the initial competition are Modernist City Buildings. Submissions should be posted in this thread between 1 and 15 22 June. First price is widespread dissemination of the simutrans comunity's respect.

Modernist City Buildings?
The object of this contest should be a single tile large building as found in city centres. It has to be in a modernist style, more specifically from the aera 1950 to 1975. The building can be a scenic or famous building, but does not have to be. Both residential and commercial buildings are welcome, industrial building only if it fits into a downtown setting.

Figure: Chemistry Block, University of East Anglia (cc-by-nc-sa Harry Harris)

A predominant style from this aera is for example brutalist architecture
ideas can be found for example in aflickr group with deviantart etc.

Feel free to post and discuss other architectural styles from this period (1950 to 1975) here too.

Submitted content
The graphics have to be ingame, and should be stylistically and technically compatible with an existing pak-set or pak-set under development. Submitting the same entry fitting into more than one pak-set is not just allowed but also encouraged. (eg. rendering with pak.britain and pak.128 render settings).

To show it is ingame, a screenshot (800x600 max), the pak file and a description have to be posted in the competition thread. One concept art image or render (800x600 max) is also allowed, but optional. You can link to as much additional graphics, concept art, description as you like. The restrictions are there to prevent bloating of the thread only.

All submissions have to be under artistic license 2.0, a compatible license or a similar license used by the pak in question. (This contest is intended to be an incentive to get more and better quality content for the game.)

Deciding for a Winner
The decission will be based on the technical difficulty, artistic criteria and popular vote. A jury headed by an experienced contributor to simutrans graphics decides the first two, a forum poll the latter. Similar to figure skating values from 1 to 10 can be asigned, the final result is found by averaging over all three values.

Timeline
From 1 June to 15 22 June graphics can be submitted and screenshots, pak files, sources and background information can be posted here in the forum.
From 24 to 30 June 2 to 9 July  a poll with all submissions will be open for all forum members. The winner shall be anounced on 10 July.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

I would like to remember all of you that this contest has just began, and I think I'm going to join in... :::)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

sdog

As vilvoh said submissions are open now, please post them in this thread. Besides your paks, sources etc you are very welcome to post your screenshots, concept art or renders too.

The submission period is also prolonged for a week, to compensate some missunderstanding my announcement caused. It was assumed work on the graphics can only be started after 1 June. (In fact anyone was free to begin immediately after the announcement.)

VS

Just a technical question - should sources be attached here too?

sdog

Yes please, if they don't exceed the size limit. Linking to any other simutrans file storage or repository (SVN, github) is also very good. If possible filehosters should be avoided, since the links tend to dissapear. We would like to archive this thread, and not loose the content.

Contestants don't have to worry to much about this though, if you have difficulties just upload it anywhere, and i will download and put it up on simutrans germany for example and edit your posting.

mEGa

Hi,

Just another technical question :
The pak should be a single tile large building... Could you accept more large object or not ?
Because my  building wich I thought is bigger than common house on the city centre.

Regards
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

sdog

To have more than one tile buildings you can set them as attractions in the dat file. For the competition any building is acceptable, as long as it is found in city centres. So attractions, station extensions, city buildings etc are fine.

To answer your question with one sentence: Yes, your building can be larger than one tile.

mEGa

Hello,

Here my proposition for the contest :

Housing Unit "La Maison Radieuse" Radiant House of Le Corbusier built on 1955 located in Rezé ( near city of Nantes - France).
Housing Unit is often cited as the initial inspiration of the Brutalist architectural style and philosophy;
more explanation here : http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/doku.php?id=en:doc_radiant_house_mega

This version including night, summer and winter with four viewes (South, West, North & East) over 3×3 tiles. Lightly adaptated to be in coherence with the game,
building was created with Inkscape (vector editor 2D) and finished with Gimp (for pattern, texture...)
It is designed for the pak128.

You can download the pak here :
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:radiant_house.pak

And the source files here :
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:radiant_house.zip

I hope that I correctly post my contribution
Good luck for all competitors ;-)

sdog

mEGa, thank you for your submission. Everything required has been submitted. Thank you also for providing some background information to this highly influential building.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

sdog

Since only one entry was submitted, we can skip the poll i suppose.

@mEGa could you please provide an image of your building on a white or transparent background (no ground), daylight, summer. It's for the blog, something similar would work too. (if you're busy, i can just remove the green from the images below in gimp.

mEGa

Hello Sdog,

It is really damage which there was only one submission...
I hope the next graphic contest interests more people.

Here an image as U want : a summer daylight view of the north face :

Regards

sdog

brillian mEGa, that's exactly what i needed for the winner announcement! (The simuworld doesn't look good in the blog. Your wonderful park does very much so of course.)

sdog

Congratulation to mEGa winner of the first simutrans graphics contest! (a blog post will follow, as soon as my flat is cooled down enough for me to go to the other computer. it really is summer here now!)

mEGa

Thanks a lot as There was only one proposition.
I enjoyed one's self to create and particpate to this contest.

I await the next contest highly

@sdog : good luck for your computing problem ;-)

VS

Committed at r517. I'm dead tired and about to leave, so please look for bugs and eventually ask someone else from the team to fix them. That is, if you don't mind waiting until September.

sdog

Thank you very much for integrating the Maison Radieuse into pak128.

A big Thank You to all participants, helpers and readers of this first round of the contest. Please find a discussion about a new round of this contest in this thread: New Graphics Contest in Autumn?

thread locked by sdog