News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

pak128.Britain blend repositories

Started by The Hood, September 02, 2011, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I am in the process of uploading my blend files to github.  You can now get most blend files for pak128.Britain here:

https://github.com/JamesHood/pak128.Britain-blend-files

trains and lorries are with James Petts:

https://github.com/jamespetts/Pak128.Britain-blends

Hopefully this will be of use for anyone wanting to use blender to create more addons for pak128.Britain

jamespetts

I cannot seem to find the .blends for signals here - "simple semaphore" appears to be just a red disc on a pole. Would you be able to upload them? I am hoping to produce left-handed signals and some tunnel signals.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Signals were drawn by hand in Gimp using fabio's pak128 ones as the starting point.

jamespetts

Ahh, I see - any tips as to how to make them left hand efficiently?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

There's not too many so it's probably not that big a job. The main things I would suggest are using layers and templates on different layers in GIMP.

prissi

What was the reason for seperating the sources of of pak128.britain? You can access the sf archive also via git?

neroden

I can't speak for TheHood, but doing it this way would make it easier for TheHood to incorporate other people's blends into his blend repository, since he can now do this with 'git pull'.

The Hood

Quote from: prissi on May 11, 2012, 11:26:46 AM
What was the reason for seperating the sources of of pak128.britain? You can access the sf archive also via git?
Firstly, I understood that github had a greater filespace allowance for the large blend files. Secondly I thought (but may well be incorrect here) that you or someone else on the Dev Team had said some time when I started uploading pak128.Britain to Sourceforge that blend files shouldn't be included there. Is there any particular reason I should be using one or the other? It happened this way almost by accident...

Quote from: neroden on May 13, 2012, 09:39:26 PM
I can't speak for TheHood, but doing it this way would make it easier for TheHood to incorporate other people's blends into his blend repository, since he can now do this with 'git pull'.
That would imply I know what I'm doing with Git. I don't! But it would be good to have a single place with my blends (which include all of keirongreen's that we still have the files for), jamespetts, and Milko's (and anyone else in future). I think that's possible, but I don't know how.

Junna

The SR-cor-b.g.blend crashes blender when trying to load the file in latest version (2.67b)(I assume this is the middle car for the 4-COR). The 4-SUB seems to be missing windows and details appear out of their proper place.

Also, a few questions that I hope are not too out of place here: the images output from Blender, at least in the latest version, have the train/unit being far too large and close to the camera in the template (it's perhaps twice the size it ought to be.) The tutorial on how to make graphics does not specify particular camera settings, so I'm not sure how one would go ahead in this regard.

jamespetts

Hmm - that's odd. They are normally set up correctly by default. Do you have this problem with all of the .blend files?

kierongreen

Strange, I run 2.63 here. I also get a crash with SR-cor-b.g. But the original files I have on this computer for SR-cor are much smaller than the ones from the repository, but appear identical and don't crash...

The 4-sub looks fine here? Regarding the cameraand render settings they are fine here - if it's an individual pak you should be able to copy camera and render settings from another file.

Junna

Quote from: kierongreen on June 29, 2013, 09:39:50 PM
Strange, I run 2.63 here. I also get a crash with SR-cor-b.g. But the original files I have on this computer for SR-cor are much smaller than the ones from the repository, but appear identical and don't crash...

The 4-sub looks fine here? Regarding the cameraand render settings they are fine here - if it's an individual pak you should be able to copy camera and render settings from another file.

I'm trying to set up for some recolouration/liveries. We got the recolouration done eventually, but the output was too large (128x128 size image, but the trains almost fill the entire image and thus do not conform to the pak128.britain scale.) I don't rightly know well what I'm doing, but how should I configure it to get the right size on the output?

jamespetts

Hmm - just checked: I also get that crash, using 2.65. Have you tried previewing using the F12 key? Do the vehicles appear to be the correct size there?

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on June 29, 2013, 10:00:08 PM
Hmm - just checked: I also get that crash, using 2.65. Have you tried previewing using the F12 key? Do the vehicles appear to be the correct size there?

F12 is the render key, but would it not be very hard to make sure it gets the exact same proportions just manually fiddling with the camera view? Is there no way to get a consistent setting for a model?

jamespetts

Kieron - thank you. I have uploaded your version to the repository.

Junna - it is already a constant size for me. Do you render manually with F12/F3, or do you use the render scripts? I only use F12 for a render preview. Are all the vehicles that you load the wrong size?

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on June 29, 2013, 10:31:53 PM

Junna - it is already a constant size for me. Do you render manually with F12/F3, or do you use the render scripts? I only use F12 for a render preview. Are all the vehicles that you load the wrong size?

Just been using manual savings of images. Happens to all, too. Don't know what render scripts are or now they work.

Camera location is: X: 10.00000 Y: 10.00000 and Z: 11.60000

Looking like this in render:

jamespetts

That is extremely odd. I wonder whether it's an issue of compatibility with the newer version of Blender? Can you see if you can get hold of 2.65 and see whether it works with that?

Incidentally, you can download the render script here.

Are you using the same yellow/blue colour as in other BR liveried vehicles? You might also want to put a small white square plane on the bodyside to give the impression of the BR logo.

It is lovely to see people work on additional liveries, however!

kierongreen

Also the render settings on the roof aren't correct - if you search the forum you should find the tweak you need to make for it to be lit consistently.

Junna

Quote from: kierongreen on June 29, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
Also the render settings on the roof aren't correct - if you search the forum you should find the tweak you need to make for it to be lit consistently.

Been looking a bit, as I seemed to remember it, but I couldn't find it. I'll see what I can find.

jamespetts

What you need to do is select the roof segments, go into edit mode, select all ("a"), go to mesh>faces>shade flat. You need to repeat that for both roof segments on this vehicle.

Junna

Well, no matter what we try - we tried both 2.63 and 2.65, we can't get it to be in the right place. The camera is simply too close to the object to render it at the desired proportion.

To test, this is BR 304 appended (excluding cameras and spheres, etc - tried with, too, but there was no improvement) to the template and rendered with no other changes:

And finally, a new attempt at the 4-COR (fixed the roof, at least...). But it's still the wrong proportions.

We're obviously doing something wrong here, but we're having trouble wrapping our heads around it. Do we need to change settings for the camera, and if so, to what?

kierongreen

Is the camera orthographic scale set to 24?

Junna

Quote from: kierongreen on June 30, 2013, 06:47:19 AM
Is the camera orthographic scale set to 24?

Ah, that was the issue. It was set to 12. It works now! Thank you.

jamespetts

Have you had any luck with the rendering scripts yet? It is vastly easier and quicker to use those than to render manually. I also recommend the use of Image Masker.

wlindley

Attempting to open these files with Blender 2.82 results in a crash. Does anyone have an idea how to open or convert them to current versions of the software, perhaps by converting them to a less broken format (opening old files should not crash modern applications), so we can make an updated set of graphics?

jamespetts

Unfortunately, Blender versions greater than 2.7x are incompatible with the automatic rendering system. This is because 2.8x and later abolished the internal renderer, which we use. The nearest equivalent is Evee, but renders from this look so different to those from the internal renderer that graphics produced by it are incompatible with the existing graphics in the pakset. Since it would take many hundreds of hours to convert all the graphics in the pakset to Evee to ensure that they are all fully consistent (and write a new rendering script that works with Evee), production of graphics for Pak128.Britain-Ex will need to continue to use old versions of Blender indefinitely.

Fortunately, archived versions of Blender are readily available from the Blender website.