News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

OpenPak128 Economy & Balancing

Started by Zeno, September 04, 2011, 10:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

Thanks for the note, prissi. I think that will help to improve city bus behaviour and balancing, which is great :)

prissi

I mean the next release after this one, which hopefully happens as soon as the SVN works again ...

Zeno

It's ok, we're not in a hurry at all :P

robbiemac

Hello everyone. I've been playing simutrans for a couple years now but this is my first post in the forums. No that I have that out of the way, with regards to the speed bonus issue, if the goal is to promote the use of newer vehicles, instead of having a bonus for faster vehicles, why not have a penalty for slower vehicles? Kind of like pizza delivery, 30 minutes or it's free!

Zeno

Actually the speed bonus acts both as a bonus for faster vehicles *and* as a penalty for the slowest ones. The problems come when the range of speeds is really big, like for example airplanes, which start at ~150km/h and ends up around 900. That makes difference between bonuses really huge.

Iluvalar

Sorry for necroing, but I see the speed bonus as an opportunity not a problem.

Because the price of the airport is fixed, it is possible to balance different plane speed on different length of travel. Longest ride mean less maintenance cost / distance.

I believe the speed bonus is the only parameter you can really modify so different speed of vehicle could coexist at the same era. You should be able to design vehicles that are profitable only for longer rides.

Do you have any overall formula for balance yet ? I believe it could be in my skills...

Zeno

Thank you for your interest on this, Iluvalar. Actually the speed bonus isn't a problem but a (yet another) parameter in the game.
Anyway, the current balancing doesn't use the speed bonus as an 'extra' but includes it in the running cost of each vehicle. A quicker vehicle has an increased income due to the speed bonus and that ends in a higher running cost.

About the vehicle range (not only airplanes), longest ride always means less maintenance costs, specially for air and sea systems where no tracks are needed, but as per my gaming experience you won't notice a lot unless you play maps about 1500x1500 or bigger (unless you make an exhaustive analysis on your line profit, of course).

And finally, about your skills, any help is always welcome :)

trashhead

Hello to all,

it has been quite a while since the last time a played Simutrans (i leave it for a commercially 2006 released strategy game) and the necroing message put me into the game again. So i played yesterday, and just remember how amazingly and time consuming the game can be (my wife has to cut the energy for me to go to bed).

Now I'm reading that there's a lot of news for the game, i want to know if the Pak128 is still as hard as i remember it was and if there is  a new economic balancing in the 2.1.0 release in order to have a clue until i install the new versión and begin a new game. ( i don't really want to thorugh away my old game, cause it was the first and the only one i could did a positive margin)

And just another question that maybe goes in other thread, i don't remember if Simutrans is completely portable or have to be installed (cause i don't have administrator rights for the enterprise laptop :D). And i just going to work in some kind of campament with nothing to do in the night.

Thank to you all for such a wonderfull game. Hope i can help you sometime in the future.

prissi

The second question does not really belong here, but: SYes simutrans is completely portable. Just install it into a random directory (not C:\Program Files\) using the online intsaller; it will then ask you, if it should make a portable installation. Finished.