News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Using UTF8 charset in Simutrans translations

Started by Tomas, November 10, 2008, 08:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas

Hi,
it's possible that Simutrans will use UTF8 charset in translation texts?
I think it will remove the problems with encoding in "other" languages and simplify translating (SimuTranslator).

Thanks, Tomas

VS

I'll just add that this would probably need libiconv.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Simutrans uses UTF-8 since 85.01, was one of the very first thing I did to the code. However, SDL has some problems (understatement) with two-byte languages like chinese, japanese and so on and for that the GDI version is mandantory.

VS

So it is already possible to have translation tab files in unicode?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

The chinese, belorussian, russian and japanese are UTF-8. THese files just need to start with § as the very first character to recognize them as unicode.

VS

So, just add BOM and paragraph and that's it? Then it could be made standard for all languages?

prissi

No, better not. SDL support Uunicode not really very well. The is why I activate it only for few languages.

Tomas

prissi: and is there any hope that all languages will be using UTF8 (in imminent future)?

VS

prissi

Why? Most editors show their native encoding (or can be set to) and simutranslator work well too. This is only of concern for people editing translation on machines without the proper encoding. But then, use iconv, (or Notepad) and make Unicode out of it. Simutrans can read UTF-8 too. (But without a proper Latin2.bdf, it cannot display it correctly).