News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

City Growth (problem with the streets)

Started by dc_ae, September 08, 2011, 03:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc_ae

So, first, I'm not sure where to post this  :-X

Ok, so I love having freeways/autobahn/motorways inside my cities, for my buses to travel faster from one place to another. But when my city grows the 130 km/h ways turn into a 50 km/h streets, which is really bad because my buses run around 90 km/h  :-[
I tried to stop city growth but it just removes the fun out of watching my cities become bigger. So is there any possible way to not let the game turn my 130 km/h ways into 50 km/h streets? I tried using elevated ways but city growth still screws up my exits.

ӔO

as far as I'm aware, for surface freeways, you need to separate them with a fence or railway if you want to run it through the city.

another way is to use a tunnel and obviously the other method is an elevated way.
There's not much you can do about the exits being changed to 50km/h city streets, but that is how it is in real life. on ramp (slow) -> accelerating lane -> freeway (fast) -> exit lane -> off ramp (slow)
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

dc_ae

yeah i know about the exits. But I do them like this
atleast 3 or 4 sqm  and then the freeway ===|||

but when the city grows  new city roads are built by the straight part and it becomes like this =+==|||
+ is intersecting of city roads.

But thanks for the help :)

Ters

The lack of uncityroadifyable roads through a city is perhaps what bothers me the most about simutrans at the moment, since almost all available vehicles in my game now can go faster than 50 km/h. Having to have a tile wide strip of useless whatevers on either side of the road is a dreadfull solution, because one tile is actually quite a big area. I think I have read somewhere that while it is shown as a single building graphically, it is more like a city block in the simulation. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Waste three city blocks for a two lane road?

colonyan

Does elevated road exempt from turning into city road?
If it is, most of the problem is solved I guess.

VS

Colonyan -> answer is yes :) Another solution are tunnels.

BTW, fences don't help this. They help in the sense that you can prevent the city from expanding [its rectangular area] past a given line and thus preserve roads behind. If you have a road through the middle and fence it, it will still get overbuilt.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

An_dz

Another solution is create 4 roads, only the roads that the city really touch are affected.
This way the 2 middle roads stay with normal speed.
But I prefer using tunnels and elevated roads.

Ters

Unfortunately I have not seen any elevated roads that are fully compatible with pak64, especially visually. I found a thread where someone said they were going to make some, including a greater variety in bridges, but nothing was published except a bridge or two.

Tunnels means I don't see what's going on. I have used the parallel roads approach, though with only three roads, but it gave rise to some even more crazy driving by city cars, and vehicles did not automatically see the benifit of driving on the fast center road compared to the slow outer roads.

prissi

YOu can use them fro pak64.japan or from the japanes addon site.

Ters

Last I checked, they looked like pak64.japan, not pak64. Visual incompatibility. The cost might also be wrong compared to other things, but that I have not checked.

But in this open source world, I only got myself to blame. I could just make my own. I did start trying to make an elevated road based pak64 graphics some time ago.