News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Airplanes wrong speed on landing - r4824

Started by Zeno, September 24, 2011, 07:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

On airplanes landing, their speed is sightly lower than the runway's max speed, and suspecting equal to taxiway's max speed. Is this intended, a limitation or a bug?

I've realized this on r4824, with openpak128. Planes suddenly drop their speed to 60 km/h when landing, no matter the runway's max speed is 360 or 800 km/h.

Thanks.

prissi

The use max_speed/3 with a braking of 64. Aparently the planes are not very well motorized then ... (The braking was effictive before, but could be resetted in many placed due to a bug.)

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on September 24, 2011, 07:55:07 PM
The use max_speed/3 with a braking of 64. Aparently the planes are not very well motorized then ...
Uhm... not sure what you mean, but I'm talking about a plane with 900 km/h max speed...

Anyway, does that mean this is not solvable somehow?

prissi

It can be solved very easily by adding another braking coefficient than 64. But most planes where I tested it looked more or less fine.

Zeno

So I can't change it myself by modifying DAT values, can I? I guess no, as long as low power airplanes (Rohrbach Rocco, 168kmh, 1000kW) breaks down to 64kmh *before* touching land, and more modern airplanes (Airbus A300, 913kmh, 13500kW) brakes to 120-150 kmh when landing, reducing to 64kmh in the first tile of runway, walking (crawling) all the runway at 64 kmh, which looks odd and also helps creating those air traffic jams we hate so much... actually that's what irritates me, more than realism or looking fine >:(

Actually, why is it using a fixed coefficient? Couldn't planes land using a linear speed decreasing? From airplane max speed to runway's max speed divided by number of tiles in runway.

prissi

To your last answer: In pricinple yes. Feel free to write a patch for it. However, the touch down point depends on the approach height of the plane.

And that a plane with max speed 160 is slowed down to 1/3 = 63 km/h is fully intended. That is a sensible approach speed for an airplane in the final phase (as a mean over all types).

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on September 25, 2011, 07:38:29 PM
And that a plane with max speed 160 is slowed down to 1/3 = 63 km/h is fully intended. That is a sensible approach speed for an airplane in the final phase (as a mean over all types).
True. And a plane with max speed 970 also does the same, not to 1/3 but to 63 km/h, reason that brought me to open this thread.

Quote from: prissi on September 25, 2011, 07:38:29 PM
Feel free to write a patch for it.
I won't get into the code (yet). But I won't ask others to do it either.

Thanks anyway for your answers :)