News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Modern high level residential blocks

Started by Fabio, October 06, 2011, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

I quite like the new colours, they're not so sad anymore.

Fabio

New screenshots, with roofs:

Climates: Temperate and Tundra

The highest level buildings (levels 55-60) are a bit higher, too: 15 px instead of 14, yet the ground floor is 21 px.
The pre-existing towers are dwarfed a bit more, but still better than at the beginning. After the release of this blocks set, I could rty to make them a bit taller, or I could paint also residential skyscrapers.
Commercial skyscrapers instead, are planned from the beginning.

VS

Wowza. That's really, really good :)

As to residential buildings not being skyscrapers, you're right. Actually that somewhat negates the whole deal with "drowning" skyscrapers, too :) There are three buildings for residential lv60, two of them rather sub-par, the remaining one is the beige conical quad-tower. And three parks, but you know what...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ave616

Mr Gonella, is it possible to put somewhere latest version of this pak? Or (if I'm blind) could you show me place where I can find downloadable version of your latest work?
Addons:
Ready: PESA 120Na 'Swing'

In progress: PESA ELF

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: ave616 on November 25, 2011, 04:53:57 PM
Mr Gonella, is it possible to put somewhere latest version of this pak? Or (if I'm blind) could you show me place where I can find downloadable version of your latest work?

Not yet released. :)

Fabio

News screenshots for Temperate:

* Changed roofs (still lack some more details, especially flat roofs)
* Snow for winter
* More color schemes, with more recolored details (roofs, balcony floors)

mEGa

Big work !

Just an idea for winter viewes and create the snow effect:
can be to represent the snow melt on the roof by creating an edge rounded like this (Vaclav will recognize this ;-)  :

I also think that the thickness of snow is a little light, isn'it ?
What do you think about it ?
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Fabio

Thank you mEGa!

The snow is actuallt 1 px high on roofs, which is about 20 cm. I could double that, with a little effort.

The snow effect you posted is lovely. My doubts are: the same effect applied to tens of buildings doesn't became clichéed? Probably it's better reserved to a few individual buildings (which are out of the scope of this set). But I will consider it (maybe for a second release of the set, who knows?)

I see the conical tower is kind of ugly when many instance of the same appear it the same city. After this set is included, I would transform it in CUR or even in MON. It's also completely out of scale, with floor of 9-10 px. I tried to make it 14-15 px, but the result isn't good enough. Making it an attraction would indeed be better choice. I also think I should make a few parks as well (now in my TODO list together with office blocks).

Fabio

Here's the release of a pre-release pak, for testing purpose (double posting is intended)

the paks are split in 2 zips for hosting reasons

blocks_1_111206.zip TEST PAKS PART 1 (19 MB)

blocks_2_111206.zip TEST PAKS PART 2 (18 MB)

Please, try them and give me a feedback in order to prepare the final release. Thanks!

Václav

mEGa, of course.  :D
But currently I am too busy with anything else to continue in work on that house.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

mEGa

Quote from: fabio on December 06, 2011, 03:35:47 PM

The snow effect you posted is lovely. My doubts are: the same effect applied to tens of buildings doesn't became clichéed? Probably it's better reserved to a few individual buildings (which are out of the scope of this set). But I will consider it (maybe for a second release of the set, who knows?)
I understand what did you want to say and I am agree with you. It's rather delicate to create the effect without having a repetition of the pattern which would be too mechanical. Perhaps it's for the same thing youy didn't apply an antialiasiang effect for edges of flat roofs ? May be, this is just a little detail because in fact it is not very visible but a little improves the block. See the joined picture.
I think that I shall adopt this design philosophy when I shall try the kind of working : buildings series or other mass objects.

Finally, my first test of the part one of the set is very positive nothing else to tell about it.

One more time, good work,  really. More realistic aspect in the Simutrans cities coming soon ! Great !

Václav

I have already know effect of antialiasing - but its effect is rarely visible. And this roof is one of such examples where antialiasing has not been well visible.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

ave616

Quote from: fabio on December 06, 2011, 03:57:21 PM
Please, try them and give me a feedback in order to prepare the final release. Thanks!

Really good work. Fabio - master of urbanization ;-) I have nothing more to say.
Addons:
Ready: PESA 120Na 'Swing'

In progress: PESA ELF

Fabio

Here's the release of a release candidate pak, for testing purpose

the paks are split in 2 zips for hosting reasons, I invite you to install and try both of them in the same time

[ UPDATED VERSION RELEASED ]

Changelog:

ADD Antialiasing (mEGa, you might wish to check it ;) )
CHG Smoother snow on roofs
CHG New (darker) yellowish texture
ADD Both lighter and darker windows, less lit at night

Screenshots:

greenling

Fabio please check your Downloadlinks the be have a bug!

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Fabio

Fixed, I believe.

Thank you greenling for spotting.

Fabio

Finally I think the set is ready for release.
I'm posting here some stats:

Total number:504RES buildings
42for each level from19to60
72for each number of floors from4to10
231for mediterranean, desert and tropic climates
392for temperate climate
273for rocky and tundra climates
84appearing from year1950
168appearing from year1960
168appearing from year1970
82appearing from year1980
24different color schemes

SOURCES:
res_20-21.zip (22 MB)
res_22-23.zip (18 MB)
res_24-25.zip (30 MB)
res_26-27.zip (30 MB)
res_28-29.zip (30 MB)
res_30-31.zip (30 MB)

PAKSETS:
res_pak_20-25.zip (23 MB)
res_pak_26-31.zip (24 MB)

Changelog:
ADD 42 new buildings
CHG Some color schemes (yet again!!!)

Screenshots:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

That. Is. Stunningly. Amazing. Work.

All I can say. Wow.

:fireworks:

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: fabio on December 22, 2011, 09:36:47 AM

SOURCES:
res_20-21.zip (22 MB)
res_22-23.zip (18 MB)
res_24-25.zip (30 MB)
res_26-27.zip (30 MB)
res_28-29.zip (30 MB)
res_30-31.zip (30 MB)

Fabio, I'm afraid the links are all to the same file only (=res_20-21.zip).

----------------

Oh and anyone got an idea why the reply-button opens the full editor (as intended) and the quote-button only fills the quick-reply field (which I never use, especially not when quoting)?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

Thank you Dirk, now it's fixed (also in your quoting).

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

mEGa

Hi,
@Fabio :
You work faster than us to test !

So first joined pakset :
I tested with 110 and 111. No notes.
Great work ! That what I say ;-)
The combination of different blocks to create quarter is so realistic. Brilliant, really !
Snow effects are fine too.

Tests in progress for another paksets .

Fabio

Thanks mEGa!
AntiAliasing was the hardest part to achieve. In the end I generated a mask before applying textures, then I applied them and use a selective blur for the masked parts...

sdog

You completely changed the face of pak128 this year!

VS, in Fabio's screens above is a beige building, strongly tapered, with a cruciform cross-section and red roof repeated very often. I think it now is a bit distracting, and looks a bit out of place. Perhaps it could be changed to an Attraction? (Theorist's ivory tower; A generoug gift to the university allowed it to build an ivory tower for their philosophers, mathematicans, theoretical physicists and quantum chemists. The large open spaces at the top allow them to have their heads in the clouds, when weather permitts.)

VS

That's one of the previously highest level houses... I'm not sure what to do with it now...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mEGa

I'm agree with Sdog. It should be transformed to attraction.
Imho, built alone, it is fine. But when it is repeated too much time, it makes a bizarre and unrealistic effect in a town.

VS

Fabio

Quote from: sdog on December 23, 2011, 05:00:27 AM
VS, in Fabio's screens above is a beige building, strongly tapered, with a cruciform cross-section and red roof repeated very often. I think it now is a bit distracting, and looks a bit out of place. Perhaps it could be changed to an Attraction? (Theorist's ivory tower; A generoug gift to the university allowed it to build an ivory tower for their philosophers, mathematicans, theoretical physicists and quantum chemists. The large open spaces at the top allow them to have their heads in the clouds, when weather permitts.)
Quote from: mEGa on December 23, 2011, 10:08:41 AM
I'm agree with Sdog. It should be transformed to attraction.
Imho, built alone, it is fine. But when it is repeated too much time, it makes a bizarre and unrealistic effect in a town.
I agree, too.
This building repeated countlyssly is one of the main reasons which made me think of creating this set  ;)

Quote from: VS on December 23, 2011, 10:27:28 AM
All blocks available in next nightly!
Thank you very much, VS! So I'll move this thread to Incorporated.
By the way, when do nightly batches make paksets? Weekly?

Zeno

Nightlies were generated on friday + sunday some time ago. Now I think they're done in sunday or monday only, but I'm not sure.

VS

Poor Werner will get a heart attack when the file is twice as big :P