News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Maintenance and Beginner Mode

Started by mgp104, October 19, 2011, 05:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgp104

Hi,

I've been playing Simutrans for a couple of weeks, starting out using the 128 Britain pak for version 110.0.1 but I've now moved to V110.6 10.2 with 128 Britain pak 0.8.2.  Once I got the hang of the mechanics I was able to run a successful company on version 110.0.1 but I am struggling to get started on the experimental version.  Every time I have tried the maintenance costs are too much and the company loses money.  I've tried to find a way to reduce maintenance costs for rail/tram track (I know how to reduce building maintenance costs) but had no success.  I then tried to increase the beginner_price_factor to increase revenue but it appears to have no effect on the price for goods in the goods list (I've tried the same in V110.0.1 and it works).

Here are my questions:

1) Is there a way to decrease the maintenance costs for track?
2) How do you increase the beginner_price_factor and is it working in this version?
3) Does anyone have a saved game with a successful small company that I could look at to see where I am going wrong?

Regards

Mark

Xpiral

I'm having the same problems. just started with experimental a few days ago but I'm always on a loss. i even created a train to run between a coal factory and a coal power plant and that train was loosing money not to mention that the maintenance cost for the line was really high. even if my busses run on profit the maintenance for the depot puts me on loss. also worth to mention is that the buss stops are ok and the busses run full. if i edit the maintenance for the depot i can make some money from busses but with trains it's impossible with the high maintenance cost per line. maybe I'm doing something wrong but..

mgp104

I've got the hang of it now, the trick is to start with a lot of money and build a big network.  Have bus and tram routes feeding passengers into railway stations and connect all the cities with railways.

greenling

mgp104 ,Xpiral

Which start year have you used?
The best start year is in 1750.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Xpiral

i start in 1825 but i play without timeline so..

greenling

It is better to be played with time line.
Also it is better to be begun from 1750.
I have begun a play with these settings.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

mgp104

I usually start the game between 1900 and 1930 with timeline on.  I must admit that now I've got the hang of it I can make money, maybe I've been influenced by all the business simulation games that I've played before......

Xpiral

i find it imposible don't know maybe i have a bug or did something wrong but i can't turn a profit even if i have a bus line with 3 stops in a city choose the cheapest running cost buss and then duplicate him on that line till my stations are ok and the busses run full i can't make a profit still the maintenance for the depot is to much. i make a profit overall because of that interest on your money thing but i don;'t find that to be normal

wlindley

Try finding a big enough city to run a network of inter-connecting bus lines, running at right angles to each other, and all connecting at a small number of "transit centres"

See also, http://www.unitedrail.org/2000/08/31/an-introduction-to-matrix-theory-for-passenger-trains/ particularly the last bit about interconnecting routes.