News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Simutrans Wikis

Started by Frank, November 16, 2008, 04:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

Quote from: jamespetts on April 30, 2009, 07:33:06 PM
Really, it does not make any sense to have more than one wiki per language...
IMHO it does not make any sense to have more than one wiki, no matter the number of languages... but things aren't always just as we'd like ;)

VS

First things first, we need people to actually manage these wikis, and then we can talk about using them! All evidence speaks in favour of using the German wiki as main one:
a) active admin
b) can register
c) up to date

Edit: Since Dirk is here, no need to dive into the depths of binary codes in Mediawiki database :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dirk Burkholz

Quote from: VS on May 02, 2009, 09:39:33 AM
a) active admin
Hey, I'm still alive! ;) The main problem aren't admins but contributors. Let's talk about contribution first instead of technology.

Dirk Burkholz

I've looked up some information:

French wiki is administrated by Lmallet only. There's currently one active contributor.
Spanish wiki is administrated by vilvoh and Zeno. There's currently no active contributor.
Italian wiki is administrated by Ozone only. There's currently no active contributor.
English wiki is administrated by me only. There's currently no active contributor.

I've planned some software updates within May.

VS

OK, you are right. Maybe the problem is walking in circles. Until now, it seemed to me that almost all wikis are dead because nobody can register.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dirk Burkholz

Quote from: VS on May 02, 2009, 10:43:29 AM
Until now, it seemed to me that almost all wikis are dead because nobody can register.
I will have a look into that. Older versions of MediaWiki suffered from letting spammers in but the new versions should avoid that.

Seth C Triggs

Dirk, I would like to contribute to the English wiki.

-Seth
Pak 128 user on Ubuntu Linux with Athlon XP 64, 2GB RAM, 256MB video memory

Dwachs

Quote from: Frank on April 30, 2009, 03:32:16 PM
The question is: Dat reference from tikiwiki for all languages?

My suggestion would be, to use the dat-reference in the 'German' wiki.
http://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_dat_Files
Although this wiki is mainly in German, many pages are translated into English at least.

These pages are ready for anonymous translations in several languages. It is possible to translate only small parts of a page (see this icons on the right of each page). I must admit that writing in this wiki feels sometimes like hacking. However, Frank has put (and is putting) a lot of effort in these pages to keep them up-to-date. So there is no need to start from scratch with your favorite language.

Please: just help translating ;)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

The Hood

The German wiki dat reference is miles better (more up to date, more examples, etc) than the current English one, so I suggest a full English translation of the German dat reference (wherever it ends up being posted on the web!)

Seth C Triggs

I'm currently trying to flesh out and add links for different entries. This will be a big project and it will go slow as I also have to upload images too. But hopefully you all might like the current edits. It's slow going but steady!

I try to do a little bit each day.

-Seth

Seth C Triggs

New images are not added, however I have begun to expand the tool descriptions. I also made a bunch of other miscellaneous changes that you can see in the Recent Changes section.

If anyone has any priorities of things they would like to see documented in the Wiki, please let me know.

I'm also trying to add new categories to aid navigation, and eventually I hope to have some templates at the bottom that will allow rapid browsing of the items in a toolbar.

-Seth

whoami

(Sorry for dropping in so late, I don't have enough time to properly follow the whole forum's activity.)

Apart from a serious lack of spare time, there were several problems that prohibited me from writing more in the (English) Wiki, and I think these are not specific to me alone:
- redundancy with user+reference guides, redundancy with other websites and forum boards, redundancy with translated pages in German Wiki
- unknown audience (beginners, people who want to look into the depths of gameplay, pak creators, developers)
- the high speed of development in ST, which can make documentation obsolete quickly
- uncertainty with standardized terminology (similar for simutranslator)
- lack of experience with (and lack of) proper graphics tools (for illustration), but this got better
- lack of existing structure (interconnected pages); several pages should be split up, because they try to cover too much already

Frank copied pak-creation-specific pages to other languages within the German Wiki, to have them translated, but litte happened (sorry). The main obstacle in that for me is that editing in Tiki-Wiki feels rather awkward, I still haven't learnt (or cared to learn) its syntax (which seems so many strange tags). In Media-Wiki (which I also use elsewhere), I can just start typing.

I hesitated to take Frank's (well, nearly 100% of the German Wiki's content is from him) texts and pictures, and put them - translated - into the English Wiki.

Apart from Pak/Dat info (which Frank supplies already), what should go into the Wiki? I suggest these:
- FAQ, so many help requests can be answered with a link to them; this can include hidden features, known limitations, differences to other games of the same genre (TTD is covered to some extent)
- in-depth description of game behaviour, including effects of configuration file parameters
- "best practices", building techniques, common solutions and strategies
- links to further information sources (e.g. pak-specific info) and websites (e.g. addons), including forum discussions

(Description of ST's internals (source code) is IIRC supposed to go into dev Wiki - I can't find the link right now.)

Frank

Quote from: whoami on May 23, 2009, 11:56:22 PM
(Description of ST's internals (source code) is IIRC supposed to go into dev Wiki - I can't find the link right now.)

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=826.msg7239#msg7239

IgorEliezer

Frankly, we need a serious discussion about all Simutrans Documentation that is dispersed everywhere. :(

I would prefer that all Simutrans docs, tutorials, texts, e-books, wikis and anything related to "how to play, extend and develop Simutrans" should be stored in one place. I know this will involve Ormac, whoami, Frank, Prissi and other members, active and non-active ones. But it's better a team maintaining a single site than each person maintaining lonely a site.

(edited post)

IgorEliezer

Hi,

I would like to translate the sentence "Table of contents".

How to do it?  :)

Frank

'Table of contents' must translate in language files from Tikiwiki

done

IgorEliezer

Something bad happened to the wiki:

QuoteTiki is unable to connect to the database

Things to check:

Is your database up and running?

Are your database credentials accurate? (username, database name, etc in db/local.php)

EDIT:

Seems to be fixed now. :S

Dwachs

There are a lot spam comments on some pages. Most prominently on the start page. I do not know who can delete them :/

vilvoh

What role do you have, dwachs?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Dwachs

Quote from: vilvoh on July 11, 2011, 07:25:45 PM
What role do you have, dwachs?
Nothing high up in the hierarchy, although I am allowed to edit German pages.

Somebody deleted the comments. I could have done this myself now, but I am pretty sure I was not allowed to do so last time I logged in.

An_dz

Somebody, Frank or Susanna, added you as an Editor, and editors can delete comments.
There's nothing on shoutbox, where sometimes we list who we deleted for spamming.