News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

A highway that goes through a skycraper....

Started by vilvoh, November 17, 2008, 12:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

This only may happen in Japan. Look at this weird building from Osaka (Japan) with a highway that goes through 5th and 7th floor...

The funny thing is that it is also indicated in the elevator's panel:

I guess that text means beware of the trucks and double-decker buses from 5th ot 7th floor!! ... :D

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

tfosorcim

That's amazing :o But how to make it into the game ???

vilvoh

It may be coded as a station but I think that wouldn't be possible if it's a normal building (residential, comercial or industrial)

yoshi

Once I mentioned the building on the old forum in the past.  :P
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/07003.0/index.html#msg62540

If you take a bus from the Itami airport to Umeda, then you will go through the road.
And I have heard a rumor that the only tenant of this building is the expressway...^^"

prissi

In Berlin there are at least to housing complexes built over highways and over streets.

kylearalar

Simutrans Pinoy Player

Fabio

tour montparnasse in Paris is a skyscraper built over a railways junction and station...

colonyan

You see the track line infront of that building on first picture?
I used to ride that line everyday before. I saw that building almost everytime.
Now I live in NA, riding slow bus, I miss fast train service...
Certain, commuting on train was pain by it self but riding fast train was fun.
Maybe we will need hightway for real in the game when home use personal pc gets really powerful later
in few decades and all vehicle will have destinations!

Fabio

Quote from: colonyan on December 18, 2009, 06:04:40 PM
Maybe we will need hightway for real in the game when home use personal pc gets really powerful later
in few decades and all vehicle will have destinations!

ST-Exp has already something like this, and it's something i'm supporting for just as long as i met with ST.
Obviously citycars pathfinding is much more crude, also in STE, but as you said, once home computers will further grow in power, full routing citycars will definitely be a must.

Gouv

Maybe OpenCL/CUDA/Stream/Whatever will help Simutrans someday?

Reddog785

I think this is what is there:
10: Offices
9: Offices
8: Offices
7: Offices & Highway
6: Offices & Highway
5: Exit to Highway & Bus stop
4: Offices
3: Manager's Office & Offices
2: Reception
1: Ground floor

idan44

In Israel there are even more crayzy things - the goverment build bridges and forget to open them...

But I must say that it may not be the smartest idea to rent an office in the building.
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...

gauthier

This kind of construction could be coded as a station as Vilvoh said but I don't know if it would be very interesting to use it ...
If the building was divided into two parts : an upper part above the way and a bottom on under the way. The upper part would be the station and the bottom one would coded as a extension.

If I have time to waste I could try to draw it ...

Quotetour montparnasse in Paris is a skyscraper built over a railways junction and station...

Paris is a piece of cheese ^^ (I don't know the English name for this cheese well known for its holes  ??? ).
The regional train line RER E was carved under Paris from 1994 to 1996, it was carved 40 meter deep (the deeper tunnel under Paris) because over this level there are too much métro lines  :-X

Also, I heard that a parisian building collapsed in a métro tunnel  ;D

EDIT : I just checked : there are no métro under Eiffel tower  ;D (thanks to google maps ;) ), fortunately since its weight is about 10.000 tons  :o

I don't know why Paris don't fall into its tunnels  :D

Spike

Quote from: gauthier on March 04, 2010, 10:40:05 PM
Also, I heard that a parisian building collapsed in a métro tunnel  ;D

In cologne the city archive collapsed into a metro tunnel in construction ... they cheated on the tunnel construction somehow. The exact reasons are under investigation, but it has a bad smell. Also two people died and a lot of historical document were lost or damaged.

I hope they will take more care in future. In my home town they are about to build new train tunnels, too.

Combuijs

In Amsterdam they tried to achieve such a collapse while building a metro line underground. Until now only some houses have slightly moved, but I think they will get there in the end.  ::( . Should have build things on water, we are much better in that.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: gauthier on March 04, 2010, 10:40:05 PM
Paris is a piece of cheese ^^ (I don't know the English name for this cheese well known for its holes  ??? ).

Swiss cheese: http://images.google.com/images?q=swiss+cheese

Zeno

Emmental is the name for that kind of cheese, isn't it?

vilvoh

Madrid, Spain capital city, is the 60th city in population but the 5th in metro network's length. It's popularly known as the cheese holes city, mainly because no matter when you come to visit it, you'll always find construction works somewhere.

There's a funny anecdote from Danny Devito (famous actor). He came to Madrid to promote a film, and when he was traveling to along the city in a taxi, he realized there were lots of holes, gaps and trenches due to metro network construction works, so he said 'it will be a nice city when they find the treasure they're looking for '   :D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Zeno on March 05, 2010, 10:59:26 AM
Emmental is the name for that kind of cheese, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmental_%28cheese%29

QuoteEmmental or Emmentaler is a cheese from Switzerland. It is sometimes known as Swiss cheese in North America, Australia and New Zealand, although Swiss cheese does not always imply Emmentaler.

As always, depends on where you are. :)

From the other way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese

QuoteSwiss cheese is a generic name common to many countries for several related varieties of cheese which resemble the Swiss Emmental. Some types of Swiss cheese have a distinctive appearance, as the blocks of the cheese are riddled with holes known as "eyes". Swiss cheese has a piquant, but not very sharp taste.

Sorry to enhance the cheese discussion, but I think these discussions are fun :)

Fabio

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on March 05, 2010, 11:04:16 AM
Sorry to enhance the cheese discussion, but I think these discussions are fun :)

better said, given the time here in Western Europe (1:00 PM), these discussions make me hungry  :D

gauthier

In fact I was looking for the translation of "gruyère" which is a cheese looking like emmental but not exactly the same ...  ;D
But google translator tell me that the translation of "gruyère" is "swiss cheese"  :D

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm familiar with Gruyere, but it doesn't have the holes you were talking about. hehee

I think Google is wrong on this count. :)

Lmallet

To add to the fun, gruyère is a swiss cheese, but is not Swiss Cheese.   :D

The Hood

vilvoh

the holy gruyere, perhaps?

P.S: The discussion is close to be cheesetopic... I meant, offtopic... :::)

gauthier

Quotethe holy gruyere, perhaps?

Maybe you have cheesed  :-X
(please don't judge my pitiful humor  ;D )