News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Vehicle - gear has a sense?

Started by Milko, November 09, 2011, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hello

The parameter gear (in the vehicle dat) has a sense in simutrans experimental?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Yes - it does the same thing in Standard (power multiplier), but it's less important than in Standard because of the ability to use tractive effort as well as power.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Severous

Hi

Does a higher gear mean greater acceleration from a standing start..or should we use a lower gear for better performance when pulling away?  (standard)
Regards
Sev.

ӔO

Quote from: Severous on November 09, 2011, 10:48:33 PM
Hi

Does a higher gear mean greater acceleration from a standing start..or should we use a lower gear for better performance when pulling away?  (standard)

as far as I'm aware, if tractive effort is not set in dat, it'll be calculated from the power given and gear only affects power.
Gear, currently, does nothing to tractive effort.
In standard, power determines everything, from how fast ia vehicle will accelerate to how much weight it can pull.

This is a compromise, for now, because in real life, nearly all vehicles have at least 2 gears.
In real life gears, a lower ratio reduces amount of power to the drive wheels, but increases torque and tractive effort. Likewise, a higher ratio reduces torque and increases power. Torque/tractive effort governs acceleration, while power determines maximum speed.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Severous

So in Standard, if I have two locomotives with identical top speed and power, the one with the higher gear will accelerate faster?
Regards
Sev.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

greenling

jamespetts
Do Pak128.britain for Simutrans Exp. use the gearfactor in the Datfiles?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

No; but the Standard Pak128.Britain does.

greenling

jamespetts
it Possible to activat the gearfactor in pak128.britain exp.?
I have find vehicles they want i not be misuse to carry goods!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

There is no point in using the gear instead of just increasing the power. What vehicles do you have problems with? It might be that the actual power settings are not correct, or it might be that they were not intended to do what you are trying to do with them.