News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Simutrans Maps website

Started by Combuijs, November 17, 2008, 04:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combuijs

As maintainer of the Simutrans Maps website (http://maps.simutrans.com), I have been nosing around and unearthed some maps that were on the (very) old Simutrans Maps website (February 2007 and earlier). I have added them to the website.

I have three problems left.

1) I don't know the author of one of the series of British Isles maps (the other series is by Kierongreen)
2) I don't know the author of the non-flat Italian maps (flat ones are by Marco Bernardini)
3) I have got a map called Jorik, but I haven't got a clue in which country this is. I have included a picture.

If someone has information about these maps, please inform me.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Combuijs

To answer my first 2 questions ;): they were both made by Joker (of course, who else?) as research in the old archives revealed.

Which leaves question 3...

regbombay1

I have had a go at making two maps and they work!!! One is of Northern England, and the other is of Sodor (land of Thomas the Tank Engine) including the Isle of Man and the west coast of England. They are both playable.

Who do I contact to get them onto the Simutrans Map site?
Simutrans User for 7 Years!

Combuijs

QuoteCombuijs

Indeed...

Edit 13-03-2009: Both maps have been added to the website today. You will find the Northern England map in the European section  :o and the Sodor map in the fantasy section.

Combuijs

Today I've added a Smiley fantasy map made by Russell Evans. You can find it in the fantasy map section.

Combuijs

With the help of a dark, dusty and forgotten place in the computer of VS I have uploaded 7 new North American maps including Tennessee, North America, Bay Area, Dallas, Lynchburg, Salt Lake City and Sunriver Mountain. The Tennessee map was made by Patrick N. but the authors of all the other maps remain unknown. Can anyone shine a light on their origin? VS and I think it might be Joker's, and we've contacted him, without an answer yet.

Further there was a map of an unknown area, very likely in North America. Does anyone know which part this is? I've made two pictures with different water levels, most likely the last one is correct, or maybe it is something in between.

Joker

Good Day all :)

As far I can remember, I did not produce any of those maps. I will look trhought my archieves and see if I can find out who did.

Cheers Joker

Add: Well after searching through what I have here...I dont have any of those at all. On the other hand lol I have found some other maps I had totally forgot I was working on ages ago. like a map of New York and one of Austria with surrounding area. Maybe I should finsh them :)

Sorry I couldnt help more with this mystery.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

TurfIt

unknown-6.jpg matches the map used here http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/02558.0/index.html by Sindor - Scenario: Highlander March 1972- March 1987.

Combuijs

Hmm, well spotted TurfIt, thank you. Highlander? But this is not a part of Scotland, is it?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Combuijs on June 26, 2010, 12:25:31 PMI have uploaded 7 new North American maps including Tennessee, North America, Bay Area, Dallas, Lynchburg, Salt Lake City and Sunriver Mountain.

News from Simutrans Maps are most welcome. It deserves a news at Simutrans Blog. :)

Combuijs, would you like to have an editor blog account? So, you'll be able to post news about Simutrans Maps to the public.

It's not hard to deal with a blog interface which works like a forum post form.

(yes! yes! yes! yes! ;D )

Combuijs

Well, something like a forum post I seem to be able to handle  :D , so yes please.

vilvoh

Blog's entry is on the way.. ;)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

IgorEliezer

Quote from: vilvoh on June 27, 2010, 11:33:14 AM
Blog's entry is on the way.. ;)

You know, Vilvoh gets amused easly with the blog. ;D

Combuijs

The map in question is now available as Sindor's map in the fantasy maps category. Further I've added the beautiful Russia map by AEO from topic http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5599.0 in the European maps category (though it could arguably go in the Asian section).

As a bonus I am going to try to write my first Simutrans blog about this. Wish me luck...

Edit: blog done, comments are welcome!

ӔO

I created a map that uses all levels possible through custom maps, and I noticed that there needs to be a minor change to the tutorial.

43 is water level -10, this is the lowest ground level possible.
213 - missing from tutorial, but this is a real level, comes after 203
224 - should be 223 after adding 213
234 - should be 233 after adding 223
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

prissi

Avoid maps with a heights>16 as you are not allowed to build there.

ӔO

Quote from: prissi on September 04, 2010, 08:23:45 PM
Avoid maps with a heights>16 as you are not allowed to build there.
I've only gotten that with 'hilly' enabled on random maps.
Actually, you can still use the slope tool for another 4 levels on top of a 255 section of the map, so it seems that it's not more than +15, but you can start off at -10, and that gives 20 levels of land and 4 levels of ocean to work with for custom maps.

Colour safe chart:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: AEO on September 04, 2010, 09:13:33 PM
'hilly' enabled on random maps.

Am I missing a new option somewhere? :-D

ӔO

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 04, 2010, 10:38:17 PM
Am I missing a new option somewhere? :-D
After double checking, apparently it's an experimental only feature.

Colour safe chart:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Combuijs

Thank you, AEO, I've incorporated your remarks in the tutorial!

AvG

Some maps can NOT be downloaded. Broken link? A.o. last 2 maps of Italy.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

Combuijs

The three downloads of Joker's second Italy map and Oliver's Italy map are indeed broken. I will investigate tomorrow. Thank you for your report!

Edit: repaired!
I will probably never get used to the fact that the files italy.zip and Italy.zip are identical in Windows, but different in Unix-variants.

Edit2: And after an hour of happy clicking all downloads should now be downloadable. There were indeed some typo's and we had got rid of the Caribbeans somehow.

AvG

Thanks a lot Combuijs.
Now I can try if these maps are better useable than Italy-2.
Northern part is missing. No landtransport possible from Venezia to Trieste.
Italy-2 looks very promising but the west-coast has allmost no possibilities for harbors, due to the steep mountains.
In reality you find there Genua, La Spezia, Livorno, etc.
I think that, I you want a useable costline, you have to shift the Apenines a couple of pixels to the right.
It is also possible to cut away the left and right side of the map in such a way that on the left you have only a couple of French pixels; on the right make sure that at the heel of the boot is enough water to make is passable for ships. Coastal transport is very important to Italy, because the lack of useable rivers.
If you tweak the map like this and stretch it to double size the West-coast problems are allmost gone.
Why am I so picky?
I am preparing a map to be used from 1750-2050. Italy is beautifull because is has allmost everything, like coastline, mountains, bit of rivers, and stretches (Milano to that heel
roughly 1000 km). It should run in Exp so I am stuck at the moment.
A while ago I suggested to upload .sve files, once a map was completed. Verdict: Not possible due to size of .sve-files.
Would it be thinkable that on top of the existing map-files, an extra info-file(text) can exist with info of town-coordinates, rivers/canals, industries etc. The simu.exe should after loading/starting the map overwrite the existing map-info with the available text-info. (Towns only townhalls)
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

Combuijs

QuoteIf you tweak the map like this and stretch it to double size the West-coast problems are allmost gone.

One of the reasons we have so many maps of Italy is that none is ideal, but everyone of them has its good points. But if you can make a better map, I am of course always willing to add or substitute one.

QuoteWould it be thinkable that on top of the existing map-files, an extra info-file(text) can exist with info of town-coordinates, rivers/canals, industries etc. The simu.exe should after loading/starting the map overwrite the existing map-info with the available text-info. (Towns only townhalls)

Yes, I have already thought about this for a while. Ideas enough, but a serious lack of time means that nothing has been done yet about it. Town-coordinates (plus for instance city size) could be independant of pak, rivers/canals maybe. Industries are pak-dependant. You could put this information in a kind of XML file, or in about the same format as makeobj uses. Hopefully a developer will pick this up. I would be happy to provide and manage the information.

AvG

Still working on the map of Italy.
My latest result by using an existing map, cutting of the East- and West-side, enlarging in PaintShopPro gives me a map of 3092x4415.
There are however a few problems.
A. Probably due to the enlarging-process. The sides of the map show allways solid ground; also where there should be sea. (like a dam with a width of 8 tiles). If the map is usable this can be corrected manually.

B. Exp8.2 seems not to be able to handle this size. After choosing the heightmap the Create New Game Window shows:
Size 1212 MByte 0.25km/tile    >>>>> Might be correct
West to East 237.50 km  <3092>           >>>> 237,50 should be 773 km
North to South 339,00    <1356>           >>>> Should read 1103,75  <4415>

Start Game however gives after quite a lot of waiting a normal map of the expected size of 3092x4415.
The attraction of this map-size is the fact that the Milano-Lecce distance is quite near to reality 80-90%.
Can Simutrans handle such sizes (after adding Towns and rivers)?
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

Combuijs

To my knowledge the maximum length or width of a map in Simutrans is 4096 tiles. So 4415 sounds a bit too large and might cause the problems you mention.

Simutrans can cope with a 4096x4096 map, that's not the problem. But the question is whether your computer can handle it in terms of CPU and memory. You basically have 16,777,216 tiles then, or in your case 13,651,180. That is quite a mouthful.

I don't know if the 4096 tile-limit can easily be changed. I can imagine there is a limit anyway at 32768.

prissi

Standard should be handling such large maps.

Combuijs

This morning I received two beautiful maps of the New Zealand North Island. They are made by Alan Robinson. One has a decent size (512x832), the other is a huge 2048x3328, which makes it the largest map currently available through the Simutrans maps website. They both need their own water level (-2 resp. -8).

Wish you lots of fun playing on it...

Severous

Hi.

Ive been looking for maps with scenarios/objectives. Are there any with short challenging objectives?
Regards
Sev.

Combuijs

No, these are all heightmaps. There are no cities, buildings etc. They are independent of the pak you use.

There are some interesting maps you can use to set up challenges, though. For example the Duck Islands map (Fantasy) or the South-East Europe map. I'm currently playing the Zurich map on which it is more challenging than usual to lay out routes.

Severous

Thanks for the reply Combuijs. I will take a look at the Zurich map next week. 

I didn't like the Duck Islands Map when I looked at that yesterday but did load up the mud mountains map which unfortunately doesn't quite fit the bill for a 'small' challenging map.

Im currently playing a random map to a set of rules for a previous arena challenge  'The Electric Train company'. 

I have an idea for a scenario of a long narrow east>west map with mix of flat and severe mountains and an objective to run a train as quickly as possible from east to west.
Regards
Sev.

Qanibal

Here are 2 maps i made of the palm island and dubai