News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

English Translation Cleanup? (First Draft now Attached)

Started by Mezzolan, November 04, 2011, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mezzolan

UPDATE: There's now a first draft of my work attached later in this thread, if you're interested in checking it out.

First of all I want to say I absolutely love this Pak and play with it almost exclusively, the design and feel is excellent and is unique among the major paks available for this great game, so thanks to everyone who works on it!  ;D

Because I like the Comic Pak and Simutrans so much I want to address the fact that as a native English speaker I can't help but notice that the English translation could use some major work in cleaning up unusual/incorrect word order and capitalization. I'd be glad to go through the translation and make it more cleaner and native to English if it was something nobody else had planned to do.

I thought I'd ask if this was an acceptable thing to do before embarking on it, to make sure I wasn't intruding on anyone else's work or if for some reason it would be frowned upon...thanks.

(Yes this is my first post, I made an account because I wanted to do this so much :) )

prissi

For languages there is simutranslator. However, I am not sure, how current the pak96 on simutranslator is. Alternatively, you can upload an edited en.tab file.

Mezzolan

Yes I saw the en.tab file and was working on editing that directly. My intention is to give everything the feeling of a native English speaker but of course not change the original meaning or idea (including all of the humor in the building descriptions  ;) )

When I finish editing and testing it I'll upload a copy here on the forum. With some things it is difficult to understand the exact intention because of language difference but I'm doing my best to keep the spirit of the original as I understand it.

An_dz

Sojo is German and as his own signature says:
"English is a easy language. But not for me."

I thought about changing it, but I started working in the Portuguese translation. I've translated some strings to English and found some missing strings, I'll check them to post here.

Mezzolan

Quote from: An_dz on November 04, 2011, 10:33:34 PM
Sojo is German and as his own signature says:
"English is a easy language. But not for me."

I thought about changing it, but I started working in the Portuguese translation. I've translated some strings to English and found some missing strings, I'll check them to post here.

Great, that'd be helpful to see those.

Also I don't mean anything negative at all and hope it didn't sound like I was complaining, the current translation is definitely playable. I would just like to help give this great pak some polish and more native feel for us native English-speaking folk :) I'm more of a programmer/artist and no professional translator but I can definitely do this to help improve the pak. I might look into doing some buildings and/or vehicles addons too in the near future :)

Mezzolan

I'm pretty much done with my first pass of the entire en.tab file and have been testing it. However, one small thing that I can't figure out is where or how "paletten" can be modified, as in English it should read "Pallets" See attached image for an example.

(I apologize for double post, couldn't figure out how to upload an image to an already existing post)

prissi

The text is category0 or so. YOu can see all unsed text by switching to an nearly untranslate language like indonesian (or any other without a language file in the pak96.comic/text/ directory. Then you see the raw string you need to translate.

Mezzolan

UPDATED

All right, attached here is the (zipped) en.tab file with all of my edits and fixes. The majority of entries were changed in some way to give them a better or "correct" feel to a native speaker. Like I said previously, I did my best to keep the original spirit intact but polish the text to a more natural feel. I may have missed some typos or had some misspellings but me or others will hopefully notice them with more playing and testing. Took me most of the day to do this and I need a break before diving in again :o  

I hope some other English-speaking players give it a try and let me know how it looks. Thanks.

An_dz

I'll check how's the translation. And here's the list of missing translations:
It was bigger, but sojo updated in 0.4.10

#__________________________________lost___________________________________
#__________________________________lost___________________________________
tonnen
t
paletten
pallets
Stämme
logs
sack
sacks

Mezzolan

Ah yeah I found some of those myself through trial-and-error during testing it, thanks for confirming them.

I didn't think to add them to a different section in the table file though (probably should have), I just squeezed them into the "program_text" section with the goods categories so you'll see them there. Well except for " tonnen" since that was already translated as "t".

edit: I had also added " Stueck"-> "pcs." which was used for furniture units. And looking at it again I missed " Stämme" since it never appeared during my testing...

scud47

I noticed one type of railroad track was called 'easy track', which is probably a mistranslation of German 'einfach'. It should be 'simple track'.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Mezzolan

Yeah for what it's worth I had changed "Easy" to "Light" in most places I ran into it.