News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Editor can't build monuments

Started by wlindley, November 21, 2011, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

• Start a new map with zero cities. 
  • Change to public player and open the Build Attractions dialog
  • Turn off City and Land attractions, turn Monument on
  • Build any monument
  • It disappears from the list -- you can't build any more of them anywhere

This is especially annoying when you have a map with cities already on it -- if any city anywhere on your map has a monument,  you can't build any more of that monument.  Surely the Build Attractions dialog should permit this?  The rule is supposed to be "only one monument of a given type per city" -- not "...per entire map" ...no?

Carl

I inferred from this behaviour that monuments are intended to be "unique" items which occur only once on a map. A repeatable monument could simply be coded as a normal attraction (i.e. type=cur rather than mon). As far as I can see this is the only difference between monuments and normal attractions.

However, I believe that even once a monument is deleted from the map it doesn't reappear on the list you mention. That, at least, seems odd.

Dwachs

Monuments are per map. Only one monument of one type can be build on one map.

After removal it should be buildable again. Needs a fix.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

checksumdigit

On the topic of monuments, I think there are some other behaviors that aren't favorable.

* monuments seem to be grouped in 1 or two cities during map creation
This is more noticeable in paks with only a few monuments. But even in recent pak128 builds, I see 1 or 2 cities with 5 monuments when the cities are sometimes not that big or there are 25 other cities on the map.
I would expect monuments to be spread out across more cities

* monument time-line is not spread out
I can start on a nearly empty map with only 1 city, and in 10 years, most monuments are all placed.
Expected result would have monuments placed over more time, maybe 1 every 5 or 10 years?

wlindley

Also, the "List Attractions" button lists only Curiosities.  It should also list Monuments, surely?

Fabio

Also, when creating maps with very large cities at the beginning, monuments tend to group in the same city.
Could it be changed somehow to favor their spreading among cities?

prissi

There are several possiblitiies for that to have better city growth at the start, like have the growth with varying years and towns interdispersed.