News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Pak128 - Wilderland

Started by Severous, December 07, 2011, 11:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

I think this makes for a fairly interesting game. 

Just 5 years to:
- Connect all 4 Sawmills to the Port
- Connect the Steel Mill to the Port
- Export 4000per month (Planks+Steel+Food=4000)

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Pak128_1930_Wilderland.sve

PAK128 V111 No mods or add ons required.

No public player or switching players.

For objectives along the way I suggest:

First Year:
- Make one station complex of your own near the export dock (Supermarket and Material Wholesalers demand various goods..which you 'export')
- Connect all 5 nearby Fisheries to the Food plant.
- Connect 6 Forests to Sawmill
- Make and export 3000 in one month via your port station (Total of Food + Planks)..amount shows in the station chart 'arrived')

Second Year:
- Connect a Sheep Farm to the Food Factory
- Connect 3 more forests to the sawmill
- Make Steel

Third Year:
- Export Steel
- Do not got bankrupt!  The route build hard as this is NOT a flat map..but a mountainous 'Wilderland'

Fourth Year:
- Connect a second sawmill to the export dock

Fifth Year:
- Connect the 3rd and 4th Sawmills to the export dock
- Increase monthly export of Food+Planks+Steel to 4000+ (I tried for 5000pm but didn't make it..perhaps you can)
- Do not go bankrupt...unless you do it in the final month having completed all above goals.

A few screenshots:

Food Industry has an abundance of sources..and a big capacity. (+Grain since added to contract list)

Wider view of the town and site of your main actions.(Food factory, Sawmill and Port)

The map is not flat.  Here is a remote area, the only tourist attraction with not a tourist in sight.  The dirt road through the mountains is how I choose to connect a distant sawmill (not in shot)

Industry Locations shown on the mini map and the snow covered hills around the Steel mill
Regards
Sev.

VS

Sorry to mess with you message, but I couldn't resist making the thumbnails work... In the end, I uploaded resized versions of images as jpeg, that's small enough to be displayed.

And great map, I wish I had enough time to try this :D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

VS

Okay... did anyone try this? I chose ships as my main mode of transport for food related stuff and ran out of money almost immediately.

edit: Now trying with trains. Well... not exactly great, but using the poorest loco and wagon for plank transport and trucks for planks work. I can't understand how would the proposed timeline be met, though? Is this a truck-only scenario... (Only one way to find out :) )

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Severous

I had to bide my time. Often achieving that years objective in the final months of the year.

Ships are profitable if their routing maximizes the % of their schedule that they travel loaded. To avoid food factory maxing on fish stocks I kept my trawlers trawling by having them cruise backwards and forwards between fishing grounds.

I had 86 lorries, 1 bus, 15 Trains and 14 ships at the end of my go.

Thanks VS for repairing my thumbnail/screenshots, and for having a go at the game.
Regards
Sev.

TurfIt

Good little time waster. Thanks for that.  ;D

Trains are the way to go. Lots of product to move here with those insane production levels.
Took to Dec 1934 to finally connect a spindly line all the way out to Bradford. It's a 6 month train journey oneway to deliver in Wolverhampton.  :o

Finished with 32 trucks, 4 trawlers, and 18 trains delivering ~5500/month to the export dock.

The main action:

The stats:

Severous

Hello TurfIt.

Thanks for playing this scenario.  I do hope your time spent was considered well worth it, and perhaps a unique little scenario to test your Simutrans skills. 

I sense it was well balanced due to the low net wealth right up to the end and last minute completion of the distant connection.

Your infrastructure in the main town was certainly much more developed than mine. 
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Wilderland_-_end_of_5_years.PNG

I have another scenario like this.  Should I post that as well when its ready?
Regards
Sev.

VS

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but... Is this meant to be played as a freeplay? The massive debt seems to be alright...

Dwachs

Quote from: Severous on December 14, 2011, 08:13:35 PM
I have another scenario like this.  Should I post that as well when its ready?
Please do!
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Severous

This is meant to be played by one player with no switching to public with basic current version, no mods, and default settings on everything.

High debt is acceptable. You must not go bankrupt so I think that means you have to keep a positive net wealth.
Regards
Sev.

TurfIt

Was a good reintroduction to pak128. I've been in pak64 land for a couple years now, so time well spent.
Post up your next scenario and I'll never get any work done!

I was wondering about your objective of 3000 exported in the first year. Looks like all arrivals to the export station are in your numbers, including those transferring. e.g. the Lumber to the sawmill. That's why I showed the actual factory consumption, my export station arrivals are ~7600/month.

I underestimated the build cost for the eastward expansion, so I could have done it 18-20 months sooner. I also wanted the eastern sawmills to actually be producing so that took another 4 months to save up enough to buy the trains. i.e. Not just connect the sawmills but use them.

freeplay is not needed. Just keep your net wealth above zero every month and no bankruptcy...
Now on the other hand, flirting with bankrupcty is required. I had net wealth in the hundreds a couple times  8)

Severous

Here was the game at the end of my first year of play. 

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Wilderland_1st_year_3000pm_export_achieved.JPG

I hadn't expanded very much but had managed to export the 3000pm figure.

I will have to recheck my 5th year export result as indeed I may have over-counted the exports by using the incorrect graph.
Edit:
-My exports were just under 4000pm at the end.
-Net wealth was a healthy £370k. 
-If I had set myself that 5000pm target whilst I was playing (I only set myself the connect sawmills target) I bet it would have been close to bankruptcy yet unclear if I would have got the exports up as high as you TurfIt. Very nice route you had on the build east.
Regards
Sev.

TurfIt

Screen shot duel!

Contrary to the ultimate objectives of connecting sawmills to the East, the first year I expanded West to get more meat. It hasn't arrived yet in the screen shot, but once it does the food consumption jumps to 2600 and profit accordingly.

Comparing the operational profit in the finances to yours, I think that was a good decision. Extra 80000 made in the first year to help speed construction despite exporting less.

Severous

Wonder if anyone else has had a go..or plans to?   If we continue our Screen shot dual we will give away our secrets!

I can see your westward expansion makes adding a sheep farm in year 2 very easy. 

In year 1 I was short of grain at the food factory. The grain chain was not present when I started. During scenario design I had thought the factory needed meat, fish or grain..not all three. I developed chickens, fish and planks transport first. No grain. I then added in the grain fields and grain mill to make the food chain work.  Later in the game meat become the limiting factor for the factory. Fish was never a problem. 

Dual continues tomorrow with year 2. :-)

Edit:
End of my second year. 
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Wilderland_-_end_of_2nd_year.PNG
Steel is being made, and map shows the forests added (stops named 7,8,9) and a sheep farm.  Rough road was used - it was connection for connection sake rather than profit or goods.  I see however my monthly exports had dipped below 3000pm for much of the second year.
Regards
Sev.

merry

Hi guys,

Well, over Christmas I had a little go. But my initial network was only just profitable, and I had a serious debt...or so I thought.
Having read the posts above regarding permitted debt / net worth, I will be revisiting the challenge and building the network for maximum functoinality, not working within a low-debt balance.
More bridges & tunnels!

Over the last year or two i've only been an intermittent player, and only really in experimental-128 (I love what james is doing to make the behaviour more realistic). This has been a real return to Pak128 and quite frustrating in some ways!

i'll keep you posted as  when I get a chance to try again. Anyway, nice one Severous, a real challenge!