News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Boarding-only stops, intercity route settings, etc...

Started by VS, November 26, 2008, 08:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ters

Ideally, long distance passengers should have priority on intercity lines, and short distance passenger should have priority on intracity lines. That should keep intercity lines from running full with short distance passengers, and intracity lines from running empty because the intercity train departed with all suitable passengers. The capacity is there, it's just used wrong.

But what is an intercity line and what is something else?

Fabio

Quote from: Ters on September 30, 2012, 05:36:41 PMIdeally, long distance passengers should have priority on intercity lines, and short distance passenger should have priority on intracity lines. That should keep intercity lines from running full with short distance passengers, and intracity lines from running empty because the intercity train departed with all suitable passengers. The capacity is there, it's just used wrong.

This is a great idea.

Quote from: Ters on September 30, 2012, 05:36:41 PMBut what is an intercity line and what is something else?

Some ideas:
1) Could a line route length be calculated? maybe simply as manhattan distance of A-B,  then B-C, and so on till A again.
Longer distance lines would give priority to long distance pax, shorter ones to short distance pax.

2) Urban and suburban lines are those which stops are located within twice (or n-times)  the city limits radius from the town hall. These lines give priority to short distance pax, the other to lond distance pax.

greenling

Fabio
Those idea like i!
I must often riddle how i must be build a route.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Ters

Quote from: Fabio on September 30, 2012, 06:06:33 PM
2) Urban and suburban lines are those which stops are located within twice (or n-times)  the city limits radius from the town hall. These lines give priority to short distance pax, the other to lond distance pax.

That won't work for me, as sometimes, the shorter line also runs between two towns. And the distances aren't equal across the map. A distance suitable in the more crowded areas won't work in more rural regions.

Václav

I managed to create stations where people are boarding-only by following way (on tram - but it may be done also with trains) - and it is not needed to change code - but it can be used only somewhere:

1. circle stations: station with two or more platforms that are on separated ways
2. tram/train arrives to station on way 1 - and goes on circle exchange
3. tram/train leaves circle exchange - and arrives to station on way 2
4. on circle exchange cannot be else station

Result: tram/train will unload all passengers/post at first. Then it empty goes through circle exchange - and after, it will be loaded back.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Fabio

Quote from: Ters on September 30, 2012, 05:36:41 PM
But what is an intercity line and what is something else?

A much better idea: Intercity as a property stored within the line object (shown as a check box in Schedule dialog).

Intercity is ON by default for airplanes, ships, trains, and maglevs. It can be turned off manually by the player when creating or updating the line.

Intercity is OFF by default (i.e. current behavior) for busses & trucks, trams, monorails, and narrow gauge. It can be turned on manually by the player when creating or updating the line.

Roads

I like your idea very much Fabio!  Hope it is implemented.

Fabio

By the way, I joined a handful of related discussions and moved the whole in extension requests.

rsdworker

the Unloading and Boarding - sounds good -  few examples when train reaches end of line - Norway Oslo south airport Departures (only Unloads all passengers going to airport then train goes in Loop to Arrivals station to load up then goes to Main station
in London - the docklands railway does have Unloading and loading platforms - Bank station features this
the trains arrive at platform 9 and unloads all passengers and train goes in sliding beyond the platform then enters Platform 10 to load train

Bear789

Quote from: Fabio on September 30, 2012, 06:06:33 PM
Some ideas:
1) Could a line route length be calculated? maybe simply as manhattan distance of A-B,  then B-C, and so on till A again.
Longer distance lines would give priority to long distance pax, shorter ones to short distance pax.

What about let the player manually setting lines to urban, interurban, local, express? That way you avoid the game randomly misunderstanding what you ment to do.
It's not artificial complexity if things are set up in such a way that without specification the routing works like it does currently, so that players that don't want to meddle with that can ignore it.

Carl

Quote from: rsdworker on October 01, 2012, 12:42:32 AM
the Unloading and Boarding - sounds good -  few examples when train reaches end of line - Norway Oslo south airport Departures (only Unloads all passengers going to airport then train goes in Loop to Arrivals station to load up then goes to Main station
in London - the docklands railway does have Unloading and loading platforms - Bank station features this
the trains arrive at platform 9 and unloads all passengers and train goes in sliding beyond the platform then enters Platform 10 to load train

This is already achievable within Simutrans, I think. If you create two separate platforms for a station, and have a train stop at both of them, passengers should alight at the first platform and then load at the second platform -- in both cases since that will be the shortest route to their destination. Not sure I've explained that too well -- anybody have a better way of putting it...?

ӔO

Going on with the intercity idea, I think it might be simpler to understand and use if the game were to allow a reverse load priority.

Prioritize loads for nearby destination (current behaviour)
or
Prioritize loads for distant destination (new behaviour that can be flagged)

This way, you can still achieve the various usages, intercity, local, express, regional, etc. while not adding too much complexity.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Roads

Carl, I think you may have explained it as well as it can possibly be because there is a much broader concept here.  With multiple platforms, multiple trains and multiple tracks, you can solve almost any problem.  The trouble is paying for it. :)

AEO, I think your idea would solve most passenger and possibly mail problems.