News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Automobile industry replacement set

Started by wlindley, December 29, 2011, 01:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

I am working on extending the modular tile design, as in the recent Medieval buildings, to a few of the industry chains.  The first of these will be the automotive chain, as there is currently only one factory whose modern cars look quite out-of-place at its introduction in 1910.  I propose these industry levels (example ratios shown) --

• Coach Works, circa 1790 - 1910. Accepts: 5 wood, 1 steel, 1 hardware. Consumption only (coaches bought directly from factory, no dealers)
  • Horseless Carriage Factory, circa 1910 - 1925. Accepts: 4 wood, 2 steel, 1 hardware. Produces: Cars
  • Car Factory, circa 1925 - 1950. Accepts: 1 wood, 4 steel, 2 hardware. Produces: Cars
  • Car Factory, circa 1950 onward. Accepts, 5 steel, 2 plastic, 1 hardware. Produces: Cars.  (Later factories similarly)
  • Lorry Factory, circa 1930 - 1950. Accepts 1 wood, 5 steel, 1 hardware. Consumption only (no lorry dealers). Low probability.
  • Lorry Factory, 1950 onward. Accepts 7 steel, 2 plastic, 2 hardware. Consumption only.
  • Taxicab Factory, circa 1925 - 1970. Accepts 1 wood, 4 steel, 2 hardware, consumption only.  (All cars in black)
Comments?

Also -- shouldn't most factories prior to about 1950, require coal (or wood-chips) ... anything that has a smoke-stack must have accepted one of those, right?

jamespetts

I like the idea of these era specific industries (except that the factories should end at around 1990 to simulate the decline in the British car industry). The point about the coal is an interesting one, but needs very careful consideration, as that might unbalance things to require all large factories before the electricity age to take coal.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

The idea sounds good but I'm not so keen on having lots of input goods for industries as this creates very ugly spawns of industry webs. Certainly I would remove the hardware input. Let's keep the industry chains as simple as possible for now, at least for standard. That said I'm quite keen on the coal requirement - especially since we can now edit the electricity bonus and make it 0 for coal powered heavy industry.

ӔO

on top of lorries, how hard would it be to add "locomotive works" and "dry dock" to the list?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

On the subject of coal - all of Pak128.Britain's industries need to be edited to take account of the new industry features in Standard (passenger bonus, electricity bonus, etc.), so there is some merit in considering this carefully; but perhaps we need to test what the effect would be of requiring coal as an input for all pre-1920s heavy industry?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Either way, recoding is a separate job to drawing; they don't need to happen at the same time. If anyone does want to test and propose changes to industry dats please do.