News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Hmm - I implemented it because people were deleting public roads and leaving cities cut off. It's more realistic this way, I think: if you want the public player (in this game, me) to move roads, post in this thread.

Edit: Note that this does not apply to city roads.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Having a bit of trouble playing; the server seems to spend a lot of time saving and loading the map, compared to actually *playing* it, and seems fond of kicking me out for no known reason...

Milko

Hello

Now we are 4 players connected, but I think more players = more desyncs....

PS the game don't remember the server address, is it correct?

- Server off line? -

Giuseppe

jamespetts

It seems to have gone down briefly for reasons not yet entirely clear, but I have restarted it now.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

I just get "server did not respond" now when I try and join @ 46.32.231.222

ӔO

Quote from: jamespetts on January 21, 2012, 07:53:56 PM
Hmm - I implemented it because people were deleting public roads and leaving cities cut off. It's more realistic this way, I think: if you want the public player (in this game, me) to move roads, post in this thread.

Edit: Note that this does not apply to city roads.

ah, okay, I thought it was all roads.
as long as city roads can be deleted it is okay. otherwise it becomes quite problematic trying to build the station near the city center.

seems like I couldn't delete the road due to desync.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm, can you try again? It works for me, and reports being up from the command line. The IP is: 46.32.231.222

ӔO

The server seems to be on and off.

I see a general trend of more players = more desyncs

and I think a player can still delete public roads by over writing it with their own road
seems not

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

It's still reported as being up on the command line...

I shall look into the issue about over-writing with other roads, though. Thank you for spotting that.

Edit: I can't reproduce the over-writing roads issue. Can you elaborate?

AP

I can connect now, it tells me "2 clients connected". There's a lag between building something and it appearing of 2-3seconds. It also has disconnected me twice, roughly 3-4 minutes after joining each time.

jamespetts

AP - lags between commands being sent and executed is usually as a result of your client running more slowly than the server. I am not sure, but I suspect that this might also cause desyncs eventually. May I ask - what are the specifications of the computer that you use to connect?

AP

Lenovo W500
Intel Core2Duo 2.53Ghz
3072mb Ram
ATI mobility radeon hd 3650
Windows 7

jamespetts

Hmm. A decent enough specification, although not on the same level as the i7s that people are reporting work well. Is it any better now?

AP

Alas not. If anything (and it's subjective so I can't be sure), the lag increased.

ӔO

hi james, I need some public player assistance in rerouting some roads on the south western side of the map.

it seems like I have the lowest specs, but both systems only get around 30~40% CPU usage.
intel C2D, 2.13Ghz
3GB RAM
AMD HD5770
WinXP

and

AMD E-350 1.6ghz
6GB RAM
AMD HD 6319 384MB
Win7

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Do you find that your performance is acceptable, AEO?

AP and AEO - can you tell me your pings?

ӔO

ping is 120ms average.

with up to 2 players playing, it seems to stutter, but with 4 it seems like I will desync. by stutter, I mean it is smooth sometimes and sluggish other times.

Colour safe chart:

AP

How do I get it to tell me my ping?

ӔO

Quote from: AP on January 21, 2012, 09:54:57 PM
How do I get it to tell me my ping?
I just do it from windows command line.
win key+R -> cmd -> ping 46.32.231.222

Colour safe chart:

AP

Thanks. There may have been a time when I knew how to do that, but it's long forgotten!

Ping average 102ms

AP

Well, I'm done for the evening. In some respects it clearly works well, but certain elements - notably trying to do anything in-depot, were slow to the point of being unresponsive. AEO appeared to be having a more successful in-game conversation with James about it. I found my in-game messages had a lag on them - I'd type them concurrently with the discussion occurring, and they'd appear 4 or 5 minutes later. No idea if this was due to haivng 3/4 clients connected.

rsdworker

Quote from: AP on January 21, 2012, 10:38:04 PM
Well, I'm done for the evening. In some respects it clearly works well, but certain elements - notably trying to do anything in-depot, were slow to the point of being unresponsive. AEO appeared to be having a more successful in-game conversation with James about it. I found my in-game messages had a lag on them - I'd type them concurrently with the discussion occurring, and they'd appear 4 or 5 minutes later. No idea if this was due to haivng 3/4 clients connected.
i seen that when i used it - i think i noted it this thread

jamespetts

Hmm - I didn't have any difficulty with chat lag being as much as 3-4 minutes. That will generally mean that your client is running the game slower than the server, so might indicate relatively low performance hardware; conversely, AEO doesn't have anything spectacular, so it's not clear why there should be such a performance difference between the systems. AEO - did you find that in-depot performance was acceptable?

ӔO

To repeat what was said in-game, so other can see.

For me, it seems like the depot is the number one spot where I will desync. Purchasing new vehicles seems to be more problematic compared to assembling from available inventory.

convoy replacement is a guaranteed desync, however the command will be executed.

Generally, it seems that 4 clients or more will cause severe instability, while 2 will result in a slight delay between actions.

Colour safe chart:

rsdworker

Quote from: AEO on January 22, 2012, 02:19:07 AM
To repeat what was said in-game, so other can see.

For me, it seems like the depot is the number one spot where I will desync. Purchasing new vehicles seems to be more problematic compared to assembling from available inventory.

convoy replacement is a guaranteed desync, however the command will be executed.

Generally, it seems that 4 clients or more will cause severe instability, while 2 will result in a slight delay between actions.
i have simllar experince - when i had 2 clients on  then i was happy building away things then suddenly 4 clients its started to deysnc

ӔO

server might be down.
no client side crash this time.

it seems like people were trying to connect to the server, but couldn't.

Colour safe chart:

Milko

Hello

This is my experience last night.
Delayexecutionofcommands:
10/15 seconds on an Intel Core Duo 1.6 Ghz 1Mb RAM
Instant on an Intel i7 4Mb RAM

desync:
Present (seems random) when working on lines and routes of the convoys.
Increase as people connected.
Yesterday, during a time when I was alone and I have not used the vehicle management, I was offline for about 15 minutes without interruption.

Giuseppe

AP

jamespetts

I have restarted the server: apologies that it went down. I have also enabled logging and an automatic check as to whether the server is running every 5 minutes, and an automatic restart if it is not. That should keep it running!

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Yes, as did my local client, but I couldn't reproduce it when I opened the saved game on my local machine and ran it in a debugger - the crash must have been induced by something that somebody did (the logfile suggests that people were building railways), such that I can't reproduce it.

I have used the opportunity to test the automatic restarting script, which seems to be giving some trouble.

ӔO

yeah, I thought it was a crash relating to a bug as well, since my client crashed right after I desynced.
The locally save game worked fine, so I was puzzled.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Right - I have restarted the server, but my cron jobs are not running for reasons that I do not understand; even a test cron job (syntax */1 * * * * echo "TESTING" >> /var/log/simutrans/test.log) fails.

Does anyone with any experience of cron jobs have any suggestions? I have checked that the cron deamon is running, and it appears to be:

root@438242:~# ps -ef|grep cron
root       687     1  0 17:16 ?        00:00:00 cron
root      1138   948  0 17:36 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto cron

The odd thing is that it seems to have run once the very first time that it was scheduled, and to have failed thereafter. Any suggestions as to cron would be much appreciated. In the meantime, apologies for the interruption to the server.

AP

Is it normal for the game to periodically save/load when playing a network game? Mine keeps doing it every few minutes, and it takes 30s or so. Not sure if it's linked to the other performance issues I've had with the game though.

I did have one other thought - the map has a lot of trees on it. When I was doing work on the UK maps, which were similarly large files, I was advised by someone (prissi?) that trees use memory/something which will decrease performance. Wondered if a 'bald' map might be worth testing?