News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[Closed] New Simutrans-Experimental server (bridgewater-brunel.me.uk)

Started by jamespetts, January 14, 2012, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

increasing ticks per month would keep the speed of the game, at which the vehicles operate, the same? But  would slow down the progression of years? (most non-pak.britain servers play with timeline off, as they reach the time where no vehicles are available anymore too quickly.)

ӔO

I think we have done... around 30 years in 2.5 weeks?

edit:
James, I will need the roads at Dartbury, Perlshore, Catdon, Newham and Axingworth touched up.
at dartbury, your sign is on the road in one corner of the station.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: sdog on January 29, 2012, 02:21:57 AM
increasing ticks per month would keep the speed of the game, at which the vehicles operate, the same? But  would slow down the progression of years? (most non-pak.britain servers play with timeline off, as they reach the time where no vehicles are available anymore too quickly.)

Yes, that's the whole purpose of ticks per month - is it going too quickly, do people think? I can change it for the next game.

AEO - will have a look at those issues.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I think you have stuck my curlden station.

I can't seem to get any command through right now, although I can see what is going on.

edit: well it did get stuck, but eventually unstuck itself.

Colour safe chart:

AP

I get he following on trying to connect to bridgewater-brunel.me.uk

FATAL ERROR:
quickstone <T>::quickstone_
tpKT(T * ,uint16
slot (16) already taken
PRESS ANY KEY

and then simutrans crashes.

jamespetts

Hmm - I can't reproduce this. Are you sure that you are using the latest version 10.8?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Oh ****, I hadn't seen the update. That fixed it. Map looks to be going well!

jamespetts

ӔO

James, sorry to bother again, but I will need road works at Faringworth and Carmere

edit: and between kilcaster and burham

Colour safe chart:

Junna

I need a realignment at Nutmere and Nutworth (should be pretty straight forward.)

jamespetts

I have done these, except for Nutworth, where I cannot find an issue - what did you want done there?

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on January 30, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
I have done these, except for Nutworth, where I cannot find an issue - what did you want done there?
The bridge should be four tiles (now three), and I'd like two track space on the non-city side of the station to allow the express tracks through (currently only one).

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

dustNbone

Yeah the save croaks my client too.  Terminal just outputs Segmentation Fault, didn't have time to run a debugger.

jamespetts

Can confirm that the server seems to have gone down at 0751h this morning. Will have to investigate presently.

jamespetts

The server is back up again, now running 10.9 - apologies for the delay in getting it restarted: have been very busy at work. You will need to upgrade to 10.9 to join.

ӔO

- There is a depot at saltington with ownership under the public player. For some reason, it wasn't deleted when the company there was liquidated.

- At Elton, a bridge is bugged out.
- At Parfield, could the at-grade crossing road be removed? It's quite painful to watch a train going 120km/h suddenly come to a halt because a 6km/h horse and carriage is going over the tracks.

- At Dartbury, there is a piece of road still left under the bridge. Many bridges had to be built, because the grade crossings were killing express trains.
- Same at Midingford, Pentham, Nightingborough, Newham, Ardingfield, Nightworth, Rainwich.

- Beamead has no road connection
- River at Innodon is disconnected

Colour safe chart:

Milko

Hello

My company continues to lose money every year but my cash is 830M; does not add up ...

Giuseppe

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

Milko

Quote from: AEO on February 07, 2012, 09:54:05 PM
it is your interest rate.

Strange, unfortunately, have gone 10 days since my last connection and can not remember my last position. In memory, however, was convinced that the interests were not enough to offset losses.

One question ... the game tells you how many players are connected, does anyone know if you know who are these players?

Thanks

Giuseppe

ӔO

early in the game, the interest rate is not much, but once you have a sizable account balance, the interest rate can keep you solvent, even if you are posting a loss.

I wish I knew which players are the ones connected too.

Colour safe chart:

Junna

Instability and constant desynchs have persisted for a few hours now. Someone connects - another drops.

(Also I keep crashing when someone else connects, and occasionally when I connect myself.)

Was stable for two hours. Desynchs a' plenty once more, however. Wonder if it has something to do with the replacer?

Milko

Hello

Last night I connected with you and AEO, but I was as an "observer" because I lost my password ...  :-[
I had a desync every 10 minutes (not bad), but of course I was not operating. We were in four..

Giuseppe

jamespetts

Thank you for the report as to the desyncs and crashes. I was logged on last night, and did notice this. I have not been able to reproduce the crashes, unfortunately: if anyone is able to find reliable steps to reproduce, I should be most grateful.

As to the desyncs, I tried tinkering with some of the network settings in simuconf.tab yesterday evening when the problems started. I set server_frames_ahead = 6 (previously 5) and server_frames_between_checks=240 (previously 320) and also server_frames_per_step=5 (previously 4).

I shall try setting server_frames_per_step=3 to see whether that helps.

Edit: Server is restarted with the modified setting. Please let me know whether that helps. Incidentally, desyncs have in the past been associated with network peak time, so I should be interested in whether anyone else can confirm this correlation or find any other correlations.

prissi

With server_frames_between_checks=240 only every 10s desyncs are detected (if runnign at 24 fps). Thus the reason may have already been lost.

jamespetts

Prissi,

thank you for the tip. Does this apply only to desyncs based on the random number generator status (i.e., general desyncs) or does this apply to all desyncs, including those related to the client running ahead of the server?

ӔO

whatever happened, the desyncs are now even worse.
not only that, but there are constant client crashes upon save/load

Colour safe chart:

Junna

Quote from: AEO on February 08, 2012, 07:34:26 PM
whatever happened, the desyncs are now even worse.
not only that, but there are constant client crashes upon save/load

What AEO said. I can scarcely stay on for more than 20 seconds before it desyncs. And crashes occur on every other or third save/load.

ӔO

I can quite reliably cause a crash when using the convoy replacer. I don't know if it crashes the server, but the client sure does crash.

in the replacer using clear, creating a new convoy, then removing a vehicle will cause a crash. For me, I was accidentally selecting the midland 483 when I wanted the 1000. So when I went to remove the tender manually, it would crash, however it doesn't crash when the "clear" button is used.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm - interestingly, Simutrans-Experimental does not seem to be the only thing affected by this spate of desyncs: see here.

I'm afraid that I am having trouble reproducing the replacer crash, however. I shall try to log in with a debug version to see whether I can reproduce the desyncs or the load/save crashes. Apologies that you have been having trouble.

prissi

Frequent desync happen often when people connect with the wrong version. I built a version check based on GIT into your makefile for mingw. Are you using it?

jamespetts

Prissi,

I must confess, I did not remember that you had done that, and I do not think that I have implemented it - I suspect that I must have been very busy when you first mentioned it, and I must have forgotten when I had more time again.

However, I did ask the players which version that they were using, and both who were online were - correctly - using 10.9.

Might I ask with respect to the server_frames_per_step setting - which is more conservative: a higher or lower number?

prissi

No idea, was added by Dwachs, if memory servers me right.

But you should give releases a unique number, like the revision number from SVN. I posted code for you, but I do not find it (and my build computer was set up new, thus I do not have this kind of code.)

It was built around "git log --oneline" which gives a revision number in the beginng. Then this line was hashed to get a 32 values which could be used a unit server version ID string.

jamespetts

At present, I simply "#define REVISION 109" for 10.9, etc., which should suffice for most purposes, although, for some reason that I have not had a chance to look into, the checking of this does not seem to work.

ӔO

aside

From Workmere to Woolham, there are two trains running. One is a direct express route service (Rail central | express - thurmouth to woolham), while the other goes around in a wide circle (Rail east branch - hatley (wide)). A lot of the passengers between these two points are taking the slower, longer route for some reason.
Is it because of frequency? Comfort is better in the express too.

Colour safe chart: