News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Message strings for vehicles in britain pak missing?

Started by sono, January 15, 2012, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sono

Hello,

i was playing with the "Complete Download" set and all the message strings for the vehicles are missing.
There is a previous installation of 111.0 main but the problem persists after renaming it.

Any ideas?

jamespetts

Hello - welcome to the forums! You might find it easier if you register an account.

May I ask, however - what language are you using? Translations are not presently available for all languages.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sono

About the bug (i think it is a bug):

My machine's locale is set to german (DE). When i start experimental, it asked me to select a language. I selected English (C). Afterwards, some of the game strings appeared in german(apparently from system LANG setting?), some appeared in english, and some where not resolved (name of constants displayed in place).

Then i went out on a limb and set the configuration of simutrans to german.
Now more of the strings are german than before, and most of those that could not previously are now resolved, some in german and some in english (I assume from partial translation).

Make of that what you want... My uninformed guess is that somewhere inside, simutrans disagrees with itself about which locale (configured or system) to use which leads to undefined, obviously not so desirable effects.

jamespetts

Hmm, thank you for the report. This is somewhat odd behaviour, but it is not in a part of the code where Experimental diverges from Standard, so I shall move this thread to the Standard bug reports section. Sorry that you have been having trouble.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

I think your distribution of experimetnal lack all the stadt translations.

In the svn of pak128.britian there have been a lot of line in the wrong order, i.e. shifted by one. Such a way translations will be not found as then "Engine xyz (Red livery)" is search to be tranlated into "Br123class-front".

For pak128.britian 0.10 this should be fixed as it is created directly from the translator.

jamespetts

The difficulty has been that some of the objects have different names in Standard and Experimental, and other deviations that make it very difficult to use Simutranslator simultaneously for both.

sono

If this was merely a problem of alignment in the translation string list it would surely affect all system locales equally. I assume from this thread that this problem does not occur on english locale systems, however. Also, behavior varies to strongly to make this likely.

The question remains then why simutrans behaves differently on a german locale system with internally configured english locale, than it does on an english locale system with configured english locale.

I shall test tonight, if i find the time, what happens when i change the system locale and whether or not the problem can be reproduced with simutrans main - however, i think people would have noticed by now if that were indeed so.

It is surely not a high profile bug but you should be aware that this might be an entry hurdle for german users.

Even when configured for german, some strings - particularly the cargo category strings come to mind - are not found. Either they have not had their english variant copied to the other languages, or it is another effect of this undiagnosed bug.

prissi

Try to copy a german list for pak128.britain and see, if you get the right translations. If yes, the supplied list is brocken, i.e. on line too much somewhere in it.