News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Streets....wow, they are expensive

Started by missingpiece, January 21, 2012, 09:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

missingpiece

Street transport, I read that in the media, is only cheap for transport companies because they do not have to build the streets; the streets are "given" to them for free by the state building them. Is that the reason why upkeep of streets is so very expensive ? Does it also convey the balance where you automatically have two sided traffic on them ?

Postlimit

LOL
I know the feeling. I do not build roads - I am not good enough at simutrans yet to make money from my own roads. I only use existing roads (ok, maybe I build a few tiles of dirt track to get to the destination).

If I have to destroy a road (e.g. diagonal road, to cross it with train tracks), and I am not using the road myself, I usually don't even rebuild it. It's not my problem. I prefer to have a profitable but ugly network than a pretty bankrupt one :)

Markohs

when I layout a city I use to use the public service to build it, I feel it as the correct way. But if you are in a network game and can't do it, just layout a dirty road (the cheapest one), the city will gradually buy your road and upgrade it to city road as it grows (saving you the maintenance from that point).

missingpiece

Oh, that is good information. I already saw the city building along roads I placed -- trying to influence where the city would grow -- but I did not know that the city then assumes maintenance. That  is very clever.