News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Build way on Bridge

Started by HyperSim, March 06, 2018, 05:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyperSim

Why we can't build an elevated way on the bridge?  (picture1)
Is there a technical reason or just not implemented?

In the world, there are many two-stories bridge. (ex. Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo, Manhattan Bridge in New York etc.)
So, I think some players want to build two-stories bridges.

I know the way to build a bridge like that. (build lower level bridge first, then build bridge not elevated way for upper level. (picture2 & 3))
But, it is not intuitively handling.
Building elevated way on the bridge is better, I think.

Ters

I guess its not implemented because:

• Nobody has needed it.
  • It has to be done right, and that is a lot of work. Not all elevated roads fit on top of every type of bridge, even if it is only visually.

Dwachs

One of the design decisions with elevated ways is that such ways cannot be used to cross deep water. Elevated ways on bridges defeat this.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ters

But isn't that because elevated ways are supposed to be cheaper than bridges? If you first need to build a proper bridge first, that exploit disappears.

However, "proper bridge" is the key. If you can just build the cheapest, slowest bridge first, and then a high speed elevated road on top to avoid the higher cost of a high speed bridge, then it is broken. One must also make sure that one can not build a bridge, then build an elevated road on top, and then finally remove the bridge while the elevated way remains. An I'm sure there are many other considerations.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

If economic concerns are the reason, then it should be allowed in -freeplay.

Leartin

Quote from: Ters on March 06, 2018, 04:43:44 PM
It has to be done right, and that is a lot of work. Not all elevated roads fit on top of every type of bridge, even if it is only visually.
Though the same issue already exists for building elevated ways on top of elevated ways. I'd suggest a flag for both bridges and elevated ways to indicate that an elevated way can be placed on top, with the game rule to always allow elevated ways (for freeplay purposes). Perhaps even with altered graphics based on whether an elevated way is atop (allows bridges/ways that do not usually occupy the corners to show some extra pillars straight up as basis for the way atop)

prissi

There are many issues around elevated way, which is why they are not that much permissive. Moreover, in real life elevated ways with more than one level are rare in most part of the world, since they are very expensive. A little more common are dual bridges, i.e. a road on top of a railway. But there are no suitable (optical) simutrans bridges for this.