News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Are my descriptions of Standard still accurate?

Started by jamespetts, January 24, 2012, 12:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

In light of the release of 111.0, I should be grateful if anyone familiar with the latest developments in Standard could take a look at this post, where I describe the differences between Standard and Experimental, and let me know what I need to change to take into account the new features - I suspect that there are a few things that need altering here.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

TurfIt

Only things that stand out are the passenger locality_factor, and the recent speedbonus change.

jamespetts

Would you like to suggest alternative descriptions of Standard to replace those that I have now?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

Factories in standard need pax/mail/electricity for production increase and can grow if used strongly (althouhg no pak make use of this feature for now). The demand of pax is related to a certain factory.

jamespetts

Turfit,

can you expand on the locality factor? I am not familiar with that feature.

Edit: Also - is this description of goods routing still accurate for Standard?

In Simutrans-Standard, goods and passengers find the route with the fewest intermediate transfers (changes) between their origin and destination. If there is more than one possible route with the same, lowest number of transfers, it effectively picks one of them at random. Passengers that can walk to more than one origin station will choose from which station to depart at random, then find a destination, then check to see whether they can get to that destination from that origin. Goods and passengers will always board the first convoy that will take them to where they are going, provided that there is enough space. Passengers not within reach of a stop will not walk to their destination however close that it is.

TurfIt

Quote from: jamespetts on January 29, 2012, 12:45:25 AM
can you expand on the locality factor? I am not familiar with that feature.
You've touched on it in the 'passenger generation' section of the comparison post.
As implemented in standard, passengers/mail strongly prefer local destinations in the early years. The locality factor changes as years go by to reduce the local preference.

Experimental has short/medium/long range buckets with fixed distances defining them. Standard uses a continuous distance weighting function instead. Fixed distances were tried for standard but resulted in an unacceptable dependance between the distance settings and map sizes. i.e. You couldn't balance things for both small and large maps.

Quote from: jamespetts on January 29, 2012, 12:45:25 AM
is this description of goods routing still accurate for Standard?
For the time being.  ;)