News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

How to make line call at different platform when mirrored

Started by omikron, January 28, 2012, 03:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omikron

I have a railway line with a two-platform station. How do I make the train call at one platform in one direction and on the other when mirrored?

Do I have to manually select the line both directions, or use platform choose signals or is there another way?

omikron

jamespetts

From what I understand (I did not write this feature), it is automatic.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

Either use a fully manual platform selection (instead of mirroring), or the choose platform signals.  As yet, the code cannot guess your intentions.  (I sure wish it would, having to set platform assignments is one of the few things I find bothersome in Experimental.)

omikron

Thank you for the clarification. I was afraid this would be the case...

wlindley

If you would like to propose an algorithm for how it would work, it surely meritss discussion.

omikron

Well, I can't say that I understand enough of the game's internal workings to be of much help. All I can think of is the following:

a. a box or something to check in the schedule window if the station has multiple platforms
b. the platforms should be made one-way with signals (as image)
c. the routing algorithm must (in this case) accept adjacent squares

Do you think that would work?

omikron

wlindley

Wasn't there a patch somewhere, to the effect that if a train ran through a sufficiently large platform at its next station stop before reaching the specific platform in the schedule, that would count as the station stop?

mwoodburn81

I do believe that there was.   But obviously it is no longer working.   

omikron

I made an error last night, the signals obviously would have to block the station exit, not the entrance....

The patch would be perfect, yes.

omikron

sdog

the algorithm also checks if the platform in the schedule can be reached within a set number of tiles. If it can, it won't call at the first platform but go through the specific platform in the schedule.

If the rail is connected after the platforms as in the drawing
--+X====+X----  <
----X+====X+--  >

X: point, connecting both directions
-  track
= platform
+ one-way signals (indicated by arrow)

The upper platform is the one in the schedule,
a train going right would call at the lower platform
but as there is a short enough way to the upper platform
it will turn around and go to that.

The screenshot you posted, looks like it could be at the edge, where what i described happens. (it looks a bit long though)

omikron

Carl

So this is already coded into Experimental?

Quote from: sdog on January 31, 2012, 08:01:43 AM
the algorithm also checks if the platform in the schedule can be reached within a set number of tiles. If it can, it won't call at the first platform but go through the specific platform in the schedule.

What is the set number of tiles?

jamespetts

Unless my memory fails me, this has been in Experimental for a while, although I cannot remember now the exact number of tiles, I am afraid.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

Cheers omikron for that -- works wonderfully!  and cheers james, this deserves a bigger highlight in some future gameplay handbook.