News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

SMSC February 2012 Edition: Central rail stations

Started by vilvoh, February 02, 2012, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Here we go with a new edition of the Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest. The February's topic is Central rail stations. Forget underground stations and show us your large, crowded, open-air rail stations.

Rules

• Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 800x600
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: Central rail stations
  • You may use any pakset you want
  • Zoom is allowed.
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not.
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used.
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at 16th February. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prize:

A mention at Simutrans Hall of Fame, compliments by the community and one post including your picture in the official blog.

Have fun!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Fabio

1This is the time for me to apply again with this station I proposed in September, but too late and I missed the deadline.

Title: Underground Central Station

Description: This is the underground central station of the most strategic city in the region, although not the biggest. Here most of long distance lines meet. With its 2 underground levels, it features 6 through platforms (for directions WE, EW, ES, SE at level -1 and for directions ES and SE at level -2), 8 terminus platforms (2 at level -1 for trains coming from W and 3+3 at level -2 for trains coming from E and S) and a platform reserved to the city subway. The backbone lines are 2+2 westbound, 3+3 eastbound and 2+2 southbound.

Pakset: Pak128 1.99 - from one of my few real games ;)

Quote from: fabio on September 16, 2011, 09:33:18 AM
Ok, so I will also send a pic from one of my (few) real games.

This is the underground central station of the most strategic city in the map, where most of the express lines meet. It features a subway station too.

This is a better explanation:

The station is 2-layered.

At level -1 there is the westbound terminus (central 2 platforms), the main through tracks E-W (at their side) and the S-E through tracks (at the extern) and the subway platform at the southernmost side, for a total of 6 platforms + 1 for subway (which network is not connected to the main network).

At level -2 there are the eastbound and the southbound terminuses (3 platforms each), loop tracks for the S-E trains, and the S-W through tracks.

At level -3 the subway underpass

This is the surface level:

Václav

Fabio, I am worried about you forgot to read.  :-[

Vilvoh wrote
QuoteForget underground stations and show us your large, crowded, open-air rail stations.

... but else it is very good.  :)

And here is one of my central (but a little oddly built) stations. It is taken from one previous game.

Passengers, please exit the train. It must stop here. (Station of ghosts)
Pak128 + some czech addons

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Fabio

Ok, I missed that line... So please consider my application null... : (

Second time this poor station doesn't make it...

Isaac_Clarke

Here is my participation (pak128+addons):   Gare de Lyon Part-Dieu

Located in the heart of business District of La Part-Dieu in Lyon (262.000 habitants), this big station deserves the 2nd largest city of my map. It is accessible by 3 lines of metro, 2 lines of tramways and a fews lines of bus and suburbanbus.
recently, the hanging gardens were built to allow travelers to wait for their train in peace.

Somes facts:
- An average of 35000 passengers per day, making it the busiest station of my map.
- The station is crossed by 6 high-speed lines

-Terminus of 7 regional lines
-An average of 110 trains and bus crossing the station per day
-My station is greatly inspired by a real train station: [size=78%]http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Lyon-Part-Dieu[/size]

vilvoh

@fabio @VaclavMacurek we already made an underground stations edition, I thought it would be a good idea to let people show other types. Anyway, don't worry, we'll come back to that topic soon... :)

Václav

Quote from: vilvoh on February 02, 2012, 06:47:18 PM
we already made an underground stations edition
I know it. It was in September of 2011. My problem for this edition was that I had to make choice which of few available stations that have not underground part to show.

So I chose this one - and only showed shape of short tunnels that are in the front of station - and trains have to pass them to go to station. Only in this way that station is a little comic - due to connection of both parts of platforms.

Fabio

Fine for me. Don't consider my post and I'll post it again when suitable.

Enkort

This is Shinjuku station.
It's from real game, simulating the rail transport system of Tokyo and surrounding prefectures by japan128 pakset.

Shinjuku station is the busiest train station in the world in real life.
In game it has 18 ground level, 12 underground platforms and serves 11 inter-city rail, commuter rail and metro lines.

Lmallet

Here is Houplin-Ancoise station.

This is the first station built in this game.  80 years later, it has seen many configurations to come to this one.  The top tracks are where northern trains terminate, while the lower tracks connect the south to the east.
pak128.Britain (real game)

sdog

I found a poster from 1973 and a photo from 1905, both of Shrewsbury Railway Station. The older photo, (taken by a daring young Major A. C. H. Melchett from a montgolfiere) shows the station under construction. A circular line and a tram line were built already, while the tracks for the line to Manchester and Sheffield were being laid.

(from an actual game)

ps.: pak.britain is a bit shinier now, more buildings, more bridges

Fabio

The Hood

I do like the old-style photo and comparing the changes...

mEGa

I like it to !
The challenge is really high now  :P ... It will be difficult to make better...
Very very good idea Sdog!
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

sdog

i'm not so sure if it fits the screenshot contest rules though, it is more gimp work after all. i should like to hear vilvoh's oppinion on it, run it out of competition unless he says otherwise.

Fabio

Last edition featured a heavily gimp'ed image, too.
Incidently, it ended up last, but nevertheless if that one was admitted I see no reason for yours not to be.

sdog

haven't seen that 'till now fabio. on a first glance i thought it's clear why sonik's image lost, but then i realized he made a rather good cloud shadow simulation! The light also looks quite real. This makes me wonder if i should try some reverse miniature faking with simutrans images, making them look real.

Václav

sdog, it reminds me SC4's intro video. There is something similar - in effects.

alexbaettig

Well, I don't know wether taking part in this contest still has good prospects as sdog's screenshot is so great!
However I try it:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/southheppburycentral.png/
This is a picture taken from South Heppbury Kings College Railway Station. It is a through station for the Southern Railway which once had its main terminus there but in 1936 the decision was taken that these Lines should continue to Heppbury Central. The narrow gauge network still has its terminus station next to it. Not only is it the biggest station in the Southern network but also the first electrified station! In its vicinity is also Heppbury airport which explains the airplane above it.
Real Game pak128.britain no visible addons.

mod note: edited your post to directly show image in the post.
Edit Alexbaettig: Thank you!

sdog

the player colour in pak.britain really fits in now, those stations are quite good looking. The plane is also a big plus!

mEGa

Nimes city hub station
We are in 2020 . Nimes Station offers a big hub to travel and cross around the french special world in this game.

• 2 lines TGV (french high speed train)
  • 2 lines of Maglevs
  • 2 lines of RER (metropolitan  express train)
  • 2 lines of TER ( regional express train)
  • 3 lines of subway (wich one of them become underground here)
  • 3 lines of bus (serving old center of the city)
  • 1 line of trolley (serving center and also peripheric quarters with administrative buildings : museum, court of justice, schools, high schools and college...)
~ average 2200 passengers wait into  station and Nimes with nearby cities have  population of ~ 300 000

Simutrans 110 with latest pak for this version with some britain (metro train) & french addons. Real game.
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

vilvoh

About sdog idea, somebody already propose an old days - present days edition, showing the changes of an infraestructure. It's hard because we will have to warn people in advance, so they can take the old days screenshot, but that topic is on the list.

Václav

Surely this round will be difficult - to decide to whom to give vote.

Sim

pak 128, standard set+various addons

It is medium size of railway stations (the biggest one have 17 platforms) in this game, which i have played more than 3 years; it is test game for my addons and actually year is 2111 ... there are retro trains :-)