News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Alternate directions cannot be turned off

Started by Brambo, February 04, 2012, 10:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brambo

Hi James and others,

I am using simexp 10.8 with pak128.britain exp 0.8.3. I have created a train line and accidentally checked the "alternate directions" box. My line is not for circular operations though, so it becomes a big mess with trains reversing at places I do not want them to and skipping some stations. When I found this out, I unchecked the box, but unfortunately this seems to have no effect; trains still drive in both directions. Moreover, after I then called all trains to depots, cleared their line assignments, and reassigned them to my line, this behaviour was still present. This means I will have to delete the entire line, hopefully this will solve the problem. Of course this is very annoying, so could you have a look?

EDIT: just tested, and even assigning the trains to a new line makes them stay in "alternate directions" mode...
EDIT2: disassembling the convoys does work, I don't even have to make a new line

Regards,
Bram

PS: savegame uploaded here: exp10-1830-2.sve - 4.64MB (zShare) The line in question is called "Leicester FL - Torquay R"
PS2: the savegame contains a minor possible other bug: between stations "Dover Butcher Railway Station" and "Grangemouth Forest / Sawmill Railway Station" there is an invisible Builders' Yard at the place the single track from Grangemouth becomes doubled.

omikron

Have you tried unchecking the box in every second train called 'reverse route'?

omikron

jamespetts

Brambo,

I think that this arises out of some confusion between "alternate directions", "reverse route" and "mirror schedule". Having looked at the saved game, I cannot see a bug here (apart from the invisible builders'  yard, which is a confirmed bug in Pak128.Britain-Ex, and will be fixed in the next version).

Reverse route

This means that the convoy will follow its schedule backwards. So, if a convoy's schedule is:

A>B>C>D

the convoy will actually call at stops in this order:

D>C>B>A>D>B>C>A... (etc.)

This setting can be turned on and off in the convoy information window, using the checkbox just above the "chart" button.

Alternate directions

This alternates the "reverse route" setting for each new convoy assigned to a line. So, for Line A, Convoy 1 would have reverse route set to off, Convoy 2 would have reverse route set to on, Convoy 3 would have it set to off, and so forth.

Mirror schedule

This causes "reverse route" to be turned on automatically at the end of each convoy's schedule, and turned off automatically at the end. For the above schedule of:

A>B>C>D

with "mirror schedule" selected, the convoy would have the following calling pattern:

A>B>C>D>C>B>A>B>C>D>C>B>A...  (etc.)

Combination of "mirror schedule" and "alternate directions"

This would have the effect that each convoy assigned to the line would start at the opposite end of its schedule, making it easier to space convoys when introducing them to the lines. So convoy 1 would start without reverse route set, and would have the following calling pattern:

Convoy 2 would start with reverse route set, and would have the following calling pattern:

D>C>B>A>B>C>D>C>B>A>B>C>D... (etc.)

Convoy 3 would revert to:

Convoy 4 would have:

D>C>B>A>B>C>D>C>B>A>B>C>D... (etc.)

and so forth.

The problem on this map

...is that your schedules are not set up for being run in reverse (they are not mirrored schedules), but some of the convoys on that schedule have "reverse route" set all the same. Just uncheck the "reverse route" box, and all will be well.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Brambo

Thanks for the thorough explanation James! I see that I misunderstood what "alternate directions" means - I thought checking/unchecking it would automatically influence all/half the trains on the route, but if it only applies to new trains, I understand the behaviour.

Thanks again for having a look! :)

Bram