News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[POLL] Which OS do you use?

Started by jamespetts, February 21, 2012, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I should be interested to know what pattern of OS usage exists amongst Simutrans-Experimental users, and should be most grateful if people could complete this poll.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Milko

dave62

I use Windows XP, but have used Linux (32 bit) in the past.  Indeed it was whist looking for Linux games that I discovered Simutrans in the first place.

alexbaettig

I use Mac OSX Lion and clicked other...

jamespetts

Quote from: alexbaettig on February 21, 2012, 04:19:10 PM
I use Mac OSX Lion and clicked other...

Interesting - there aren't pre-compiled binaries for this: may I ask how you get Simutrans-Experimental on a Mac?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

transporter

OS X Snow Leopard And I'd like to know that too. I couldn't figure out why Exp won't work for me

jamespetts

Quote from: transporter on February 21, 2012, 11:58:09 PM
OS X Snow Leopard And I'd like to know that too. I couldn't figure out why Exp won't work for me

That might be because there is not a version compiled for the Mac, because nobody with the equipment to do so has volunteered. Or do you try to compile your own...?

transporter

No, I tried one of the old mac downloads 8.0. I click on the program and it just wouldn't run. No idea why. But if there was some why I might be able to help, I have at least a small basic understanding of C programming. Idk what the difference is between C and C++ though.

jamespetts

C++ is an object-oriented language, meaning that it uses classes and objects, whereas C is a functional language, meaning that it doesn't. The pre-compiled binaries for Macs are now very out of date, as the person who made them has not been on the forum recently.

If you would like to help, the best way of doing so would be to see if you can compile the latest version of Simutrans-Experimental for the Mac platform (see the Github repository here). You would probably not need to know in detail about the differences between C and C++ just to compile the code. If you'd like to have a go at that, I'd be very grateful; do let me know how you get on!

transporter

Well, when I was using C at school, it was over a server so the compiler wasn't on my computer. Looks like Xcode would work, but I would need a crash course in what needs to be done with the code before compiling.

greenling

Good Day
I Have Windows xp and Windows 7.
But i play more on Windows 7.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Packer

Windows XP.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. lol
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

dustNbone

Linux64 here.  Has anyone tried compiling a recent Simutrans under OSX?  I have an OSX virtual machine with Snow Leopard and XCode installed, I guess I could give it a whirl.

transporter

Quote from: dustNbone on February 23, 2012, 01:22:28 AM
Linux64 here.  Has anyone tried compiling a recent Simutrans under OSX?  I have an OSX virtual machine with Snow Leopard and XCode installed, I guess I could give it a whirl.
You're already further along than I am lol

dustNbone

I guess WINE is another option, I've had WINE working under OSX, and Simutrans working under WINE (in Linux) and the performance was quite good.  I'll test it later.

Also I've noticed that my self built Linux binaries are about 900KB smaller (20%ish) than the prebuilt ones that get posted here, and I have no idea why.  They seem to function identically.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm just hoping for Android support now. :D

Ashley

Quote from: dustNbone on February 23, 2012, 01:22:28 AM

Actually compiling it in the Xcode IDE is quite a task as I discovered recently. The Makefile for standard permits compilation of the SDL version from the commandline however and that's the way I'd recommend doing it (unless you have a spare couple days to set it up in Xcode...)

Once I've finished the Quartz port for Standard I'll post the source, and someone can port the changes to Experimental if they desire to.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Packer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 23, 2012, 03:02:56 AM
I'm just hoping for Android support now. :D

So there IS something the droid can't do. yet.  ;D (what about Iphone support?)
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

Ashley

An android port ought to be fairly straightforward actually, but I don't have an android device.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

dustNbone

I wonder what performance for expermental would be on most android devices.  It's not threaded so dual core wouldn't help :( I guess if you could execute it as native ARM code?

merry

Win XP - it works, mostly.
One day I will get back to Linux. Really! But for now, Win XP is the least fuss.

jamespetts

I'd very much like to see Experimental available for Mac, if anyone's able to do that.

ojii

Quote from: Packer on February 23, 2012, 05:10:12 PM
So there IS something the droid can't do. yet.  ;D (what about Iphone support?)

There's simutrans for iOS, a friend of mine has it on his ipad

prissi

Yeah, but the sources were never released; and it is and old version, as far as I know.

chicken

Quote from: jamespetts on February 22, 2012, 11:01:30 AM
C++ is an object-oriented language, meaning that it uses classes and objects, whereas C is a functional language, meaning that it doesn't.

Eek! C is considered to be a procedural or imperative language. Functional means using mathematical functions, which C doesn't really have. :)

alexbaettig

Hi all together. I've been on an vacation and could therefore not reply to the post concerning my vote...
I'M SORRY...
I would disappear into nothingness on the spot! I did not read where the post was located... I thought it was about standard and therefore I voted at all. I already posted somewhere that the Mac version of experimental was not working for me.
If there is anything to somehow excuse my error it is the fact that at least it was discussed how to produce something for Mac.