News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Refunds?

Started by AP, February 26, 2012, 04:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi

Can someone explain to me how refunds work in Experimental?

I've come to realise that where I'm going wrong, at least with passenger networks, is that I think I'm building efficient networks but the refund costs are killing me. I've noticed a 'new' colour in the Lines menu - the lines go a brown colour, which I suspect denotes refunds are being paid. But since I don't know how/when refunds are paid, I don't know how to avoid them. Do they apply to freight also?

Thanks.

ӔO

refunds are paid out when goods/pax/mail take too long to reach their destination. This can be due to capacity problems or because of a jam in the transportation network.

a purple/brown colour in the line management window denotes that the line is overcrowded. But it will only display for lines that have overcrowded capacities, which is for pax.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

AP

"too long" compared to what though? I'm playing in 1825, the ships and carriages move at most 18km/h.

Does it assume an "as the crow flies" distance from origin to destination, and calculate in comparison to that, for instance, so a route by river which deviates significantly will always be disadvantaged? Or is it somehow based on the vehicle and route programmed? ie, is it the waiting at the start / at interchanges which affects it? Otherwise surely so long as the vehicle is going at its max speed, it will always achieve its best journey time.

Also, how much of the cost is refunded (100%?)?

What is the implication of overcrowding, other than passengers avoiding overcrowded services / stations (which would seem beneficial since it resolves the problem!)?

ӔO

generally, I find that waiting times at the station are too long, if the convoys serving the line have a frequency less 1/month.
I'm not entirely sure what factors dictate how the passengers behave in the network. It might be good to see what other players are using for their lines.

As far as I know, refunds are 100%

The only affect that overcrowding on vehicles will have is a decrease in comfort. Overcrowding of stations affects passenger happiness, which affects service quality. Green is good, orange is bad and red is terrible. The better the service, the less likely you will have to refund pax.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

To clarify AEO's explanation a little - refunds are paid when passengers/mail/goods have to wait so long at a transfer stop that they give up waiting entirely and abandon their journey. They are then entitled to have the cost that they paid for the whole of their journey refunded by the transport provider which failed to transport them from whatever transfer point that they gave up, even when part of that journey was on another player's network. The amount of refunds are an approximation of the total amount likely to have been paid by the mail/passengers/goods to get from their origin to the point at which they abandon the journey.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on February 26, 2012, 10:01:20 PMThe amount of refunds are an approximation of the total amount likely to have been paid by the mail/passengers/goods to get from their origin to the point at which they abandon the journey.
With or without speedbonuses, out of interest?

jamespetts

Without - it is too difficult to unwind the information to calculate bonuses for comfort, speed, etc.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I keep seeing this topic pop up in the unread threads list and thinking, "But.... but Simutrans is free!" hehe

jamespetts

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 27, 2012, 12:55:07 AM
I keep seeing this topic pop up in the unread threads list and thinking, "But.... but Simutrans is free!" hehe

Apart from that fellow trying to flog it on eBay...