News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Train Trouble with 0.8.3

Started by dannyman, March 01, 2012, 05:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyman

After 1923 1913, the midland mail coaches expire, and the new line of coaches (Midland standard non-corridor) has no mail carriages there is no suitable replacement.  In fact, I can't seem to fathom a decent mail train under any livery.  Is this a historical shift to mail via truck?  The IC (internal combustion) vehicles still suck, so I would think we'd route mail by train for another couple of decades ...

Steam depot has no brake van to sell me ... how do I route my coal train?  I'm stuck!!  :/

UPDATE: brake vans are hidden in among the goods wagons. :)  I'm okay now ...

jamespetts

Thank you for your feedback. May I ask - what is wrong with the other mail carriages that exist after 1923?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

dannyman

jamespetts,

Sorry, I had the year wrong.  Here in 1913, there are two mail coach options:
- LBSCR "balloon" carriage (full brake)
- GNR clerestory parcel brake coach (teak)
- GNR also have a standard mail van and a post office

I had been using the Midland series ... the Midland 1000 is a good light engine that can make it to 130 kph

LBSCR?  I guess I could do a Class J and make it to 115k on my wooden sleeper steel track (96t max)
GNR has no engines ...

I missed the Class J last night ... though I also miss that the old Midland clerestory passenger set. :)  The Midland passenger set introduced in 1913 has no mail carriages or dining cars like its predecessor.  I get nostalgic for 1912 ... but the new Midland passenger cars do _look_ really sharp!

Okay, here's one other thing that was bothersome with the buses:
- Petrol-electric omnibus (diesel) obsoletes in Aug 1911
- B-Type (double-deck) diesel becomes available
... the omnibus can hit 28kph, whereas the B-Type can only make 20kph.

So, when I have one in the garage I'll "clone" the omnibus for intercity routes.  The B-Type's lower running cost make it preferable for local routes in town.

Maybe this is historically true ... the buses got slower in the teens, but I'll clone them omnibuses when I can--I have pax to serve! :)

Thanks,
-danny

jamespetts

Hmm, I'm not sure that I follow - surely there are some mail carriages available in 1914 and onwards? If so, is there something wrong with them...? Or did you just want ones that look right in conjunction with Midland locomotives?

As to the 'buses, the next version will increase the power of the B-type and similar vehicles, so this issue should hopefully be resolved.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.