News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Windows Installer not downloading packages.

Started by FatLoser, March 03, 2012, 06:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatLoser

Hello. How come Simutrans Windows "installer" fails to download executables? Could it be because of Avira or Comodo DNS? I just can't figure it out. The installer tells me there's a 404 error when trying to fetch the executable package (be it native or SDL).
Update: It appears neither Avira nor DNS is relevant to this issue. What must I do to make it work again?

Dwachs

Seems the links in the installer are broken.

You could download executables directly here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/simutrans/files/simutrans/111-2-1/
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

FatLoser

Got SDL executable+pak32 - but it's a lot more hassle to work with winRAR/7z than with a simple installer. Please fix the installer links, and add "source" page - where one can type the path to archives - UQM (http://sc2.sf.net) does that.

IgorEliezer

I can confirm it. I hope that one of devs sees this. :(

Dwachs

I uploaded a new version. Please redownload the installer and try again.

Thanks for reporting.

FatLoser

Thanks for fixing the installer! BTW, I think Sid Meier should consider making a BSD-licensed LocoDemo pak, with a paid set of addon PAKs that turn Simutrans into a complete, functioning Locomotion port to Linux - and through that, to Pandora.
Edit: Please close the thread now.

Dwachs

Please do not delete such threads. Then other people facing the same problem will find a solution here.

Thanks for the report. You were the first of ~1000 people to report the problem, out of those who downloaded the installer.

FatLoser

Isn't there a way to close threads rather than delete? Lock button next to delete button would be OK.

Dwachs

Let them rest in peace ;) No need to actively close it.

IgorEliezer

In our community, we have a different policy: we "kill" a topic only if it's "harmful" for members, I mean, we lock it if its continuity (more posts) is a problem. But if the topic itself is a problem, we remove it. This topic doesn't fall in either case; it's stil useful and there's no problem if someone else posts here to report same issue with installers later on. 

And finally, welcome to the community. :)