News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Feature ideas: Show fastest connection / choose "next" connection

Started by chs, March 25, 2012, 12:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chs

Idea 1:
In the detail information in a stop the following information is available:

List of lines and individual vehicles that stop here
direct connections:
- destination (distance)
- travelling time, waiting time
- idea: show the fastest line

To simplify the schedule and decrease travelling times, I often combine train lines, as the train company in Switzerland actually does. So I begin with train line 1 from A to B, then add train line 2 from B to C, and then combine them in one line A - B - C. Doing this on a larger scale results in few, long lines, often with several possible connections between two cities. To further optimize this, it would be very helpful to know which connection is the fastest. Often its obvious, but sometimes its not, in particular when schedule and waiting times to cross with other trains are involved. Then this idea would be very helpful.

Idea 2:
The following is based on what I have read about how passengers choose their connections, and my knowledge regarding this may not be up to date.

As far as I know,
- passengers choose the fastest line
- fastest line = shortest (travelling time + average waiting time)
- if passengers have to wait too long, they choose any line that gets them closer to their destination

If there are two lines with similar travelling and waiting time, everybody would take the faster line in the game. In the real world, they use both trains (given comfort etc. are equal), probably because the schedule suits them better. I would like to see this behaviour in the game.

Following situation to get from A to B
- line 1: average waiting time 20 min, travelling time 50 min, total 70 min
- line 2: average waiting time 25 min, travelling time 55 min, total 80 min
A Passenger who arrives at station A waits for line 1. He would not take line 2, even though line 2 may be leaving in 5 minutes. In this situation, line 2 takes 60 min to B (less than the expected time for line 1), so line 2 would be the logical choice.

It is something I guess is different between game and reality. It is not something I have observed in a game and noticed any negative effects. I just think it would be more realistic.

EDIT: Just found http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9262.0
The input in idea to reduces to another way of calculation. But I think the discussion in the other thread is the right place to continue.