News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Show climate name on mouse hover

Started by IgorEliezer, April 01, 2012, 10:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

I would like to see the climate of a tile that my mouse is hovering on.

This could be of some use when I'm using the Map Editing tools: not all buildings are allowed to be built in any climate. I sometimes select a factory or a house, I try to implant it and then a "No suitable ground!" pops up. I check the "Allowed climates" for selected building and then I try to look for a suitable place in the map, but it's not always easy to distinguish the climates on the screen.

Plus, not all players know what a tundra or a mediterranean climate would look like. Specially for people that lives in Southern Hemisphere.

I'd suggest the bottom-bar, next to the coords (perhaps on the left), as a suitable place to show the climate name.

I hope I got my point across. :)

Roads

Yes, please this!  I am one of those people who does not know what the Mediterranean climate looks like.  This would also be really helpful when changing the terrain stats as I have quite a bit of trouble - lots of the time I get a map with no trees on snow covered areas.

mEGa

Good idea Igor,
Perhaps put a description of several climates on line help too ?
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Fabio

Climates could be indicated near coordinates, as a matter of fact.

prissi

What is the prupose for a normal player? You can click on a ground tile and read the climate. The edit tool is not visual to any casual player, as they would need to change to public player (giving the 80% rule of people never changing default settings).

Roads

Prissi, how is it possible to click on the ground and get the info?  Regardless of which setting I toggle in simuconf file where is says "ground info" I get the same result in game.  Both simply say "land xxx" and that is all.

prissi

If it is a debug built (which the default built is) then there sould be lots of additional info, like here

Roads

Well, I'm missing something because I downloaded the default game, haven't made any changes and only use some vehicle, houses and the little sign addon and I don't have that popup you show.  My game is 111.0,  Nov 1, 2011, r4911

Combuijs

In the settings "ground info" should be enabled in order to see something

from simuconf.tab:

# Show infos also on bare ground?
# (1=on, 0=off)
ground_info = 0

Set it to 1 and you will see info

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Roads

Thanks Combuijs!  I'll do that.

BTW, I think your city in the contest is really good.  The idea of that huge mountain, well, I had not thought of doing anything like that but will try it in some future game - might have to learn how to rework the map first, not sure it could be accomplished by just turning on Public and using the shaping too.  Also your city is really colorful - reminded me of a circus and I mean that in the best way - a happy little city where people have fun.

Combuijs

Thanks for the compliment!

As noted in the contest entry, it is a part of the South East Europe map by Carl Baker. Some tough mountain areas to cross there. Witton Twambrook is situated in Greece, East of Thessaloniki around a place called Eleftheres, west of the Isle of Thasos. I have never been there in real life, but probably I should...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Roads

This is one of the most fun things in Simutrans - creating simulations of real cities - or at least the geographical landscapes where they exist or existed.  Cities grew for a reason.  Sometimes it was purely location as in the case of Constantinople (Istanbul), often it was a natural harbor and sometimes like a city near me, Birmingham, Alabama, it was for the natural resources.

One thing I will do if I ever get to the point where I can make real changes to Simutrans is create an addon where there will be harbors and natural resources...you or you as public player won't be able to just plop down an ore mine or put a sea dock anywhere the mood strikes you.  Those will be determined by the map.