News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Pak64.USA

Started by Packer, April 06, 2012, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checksumdigit

I'm still playing with grounds.  ;D

I think I've discovered something great. I did lots of texturing to the light map and I must say I'm impressed with the results. Corners actually appear soft and natural. This is the look I was hoping for all along.

Unless there is anything else that can be improved, I'll call it final and focus on something else. I still plan on updating the shore texture though.

Packer

I got the entirity of that building set coded and working (I used some as rotationsfor the same building to cut down on files) thanks to tile cutter. I found out in the process what happens if you code a multi-tile city building. The game crashes when a city tries to build it, but if I went and built it as "public service" it worked as normal. I think it could be possible in a future release of simutrans. Looks like I'll code some of them as dummy factories, a few as attractions, and 1 as a actual factory.

The only downside is that they don't appear all that often for some reason. It seems Prissi has the answer for that though.

Prissi, I split the blocks about 30-70 residental to commercial. Lowest level for the blocks was like 15. Based on what you are saying, it seems they should all be commercial.

I also had pak128's buildings rescaled and done, but they came out with whitish borders and outlines. IDK if i'll edit them, I believe I have a better (less-time consuming) idea. I'm working on pak 64's factories ATM, I have most of them flipped.

Issac, Point taken; but as I said before the graphics aren't mine. I just coded them for simutrans.

Checsumdigit, I love the ground tiles. Only question I have is how do I make them work in game?

rfg123, thanks for the full permission.
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

Carl

If you want to avoid white borders in rescaling, you have two options (I'm assuming you're using Gimp):

1. Set the "interpolation" value to "none". This will give you no white border at all but the rescaling will be less smooth.

2. Manually correct the white borders (quite easy in Gimp since you can simply select all then deselect the transparency colour only to see which bits are not quite the right colour). This gives smoother results but is more time-consuming.

Packer

Carlbaker, Thanks for your suggestions. I was MSpaint, but I do have GIMP.

Which option were you using on Pak.Unity?
The Pack is back!!

Carl

Mostly the second. It's only really problematic for buildings with trees and other foliage.

checksumdigit

Packer, With a recent copy of pak64, I just removed the ground.LightTexture.pak and ground.ClimateTexture.pak and replaced with my compiled _US paks. If you're using a pak that had all grounds compiled into 1 pak, then I'm not sure if it will override the grounds.all.pak.

Packer

Carlbaker, I'll give it a go when I get the pak64 factories re-done for Pak64.US. Your advice should come in handy when some of the Pak128 factories will be rescaled and re-used. For now though, I just want to get something out there.

Checksum, Gotcha. I'll give it a go in a bit.

I've got most of the default factories done. I still have to do the food, waste, and an additional factory (pak64 shopping center, accepts goods, furniture, and maybe food; with a high pax and mail level)
The Pack is back!!

checksumdigit

can you post the graphics for factories that you currently have and also let me know which goods still need factories? I can certainly work on some factory graphics to fill the gaps.

Packer

Checksumdigit, I flipped the around the stock pak64 factories and added 2 new factories and 1 new cargo. Basically it's unchanged.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/factories.zip

I think townhalls are sorely needed. I tried flipping the stock ones, but it bugged me that they always had their sides to the roads...

I've got that city set playable; but when I coded some buildings as attractions and put there location as cities, they appear far away from them. Skyscrapers don't appear in the middle of nowhere...
The Pack is back!!

greenling

packer
the factories.zip it´s good.
And useful. :)
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

checksumdigit

I've started on some town halls. I haven't compiled any of these yet to test them, just working on the graphics for now. Plan to ad lost more ground cover and color to the buildings.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I like the shapes! If you seek inspiration (not that I think you need to), might google for county courthouses imho :)

Also, if you wanted something unusual, the Dallas City Hall is :) http://i.imgur.com/uyKvQ.jpg

Also also, since this is a US pakset... Consider that many smaller towns use the City hall as the police and fire department HQ as well... :) Don't forget the US flags, which would be everywhere! :)

Combuijs

If you want to prevent relocation of townhalls, you might consider giving every townhall a 2x2 size (or at least the same size). If you are okay with relocations, then forget what I have said...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Packer

My town doesn't have a town hall. It uses a local school after hours or the police station. There are 2 courthouses though  :o

I like the shape checksumdigit. can't wait to see the finished result

I guess I'll start modifying the default tracks. Increase speeds and make them come out earlier. (concrete will be similar to wood, just cheaper to maintain).
The Pack is back!!

Fabio

I granted this project its own board, hoping to see a release soon ;)

Packer

Thanks Fabio. I hope to see one soon as well...

I hate to do this, but seeing as I don't want to overlap Carlbaker's pak.unity for building development; I'm electing to just use the City buildings I've done up for the time being.

I could get some road vehicles done up in the mean time.
The Pack is back!!

Carl

I've sent Packer the latest pak64.unity city-buildings in the hope that this will help the USA project move along.

Packer

Thanks for doing that Carlbaker.

Well I found someone on another forum who's willing to let me use his TTD american trucks, in exchange I'll help him with them.

I would like to do a set of american-looking bridges (2 of the default ones will work) but there's no real template. Guess I could modify the elevated track bridge (the 450 km/h one) because it has no ties and looks like a through girder bridge.

Edit: Here's the buildings set. The multi-tiles are attractions, there are 8 apartments so they work as attractions.
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/NACS.zip
The Pack is back!!

greenling

The new Buildings be graet. :)
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Packer

Greenling, I'm glad you like them.It took a while in tilecutter to cut them all out. But I can't take credit for coding them.

I managed to go through Carlbaker's buildings last nigt and coded them. I'll post them later (still trying to balance them out a bit). Looks like I'll still have to import a few others from pak128.

Quote from: Packer on April 18, 2012, 06:26:17 PM
Well I found someone on another forum who's willing to let me use his TTD american trucks, in exchange I'll help him with them.

The reason for the above is because the TTD american trucks will be scaled to the trains. It may take a while, and I'd like to get that one done ASAP. I'll try to keep this up though.
The Pack is back!!

An_dz

This pak is moving really nice, I hope to see an alpha soon. You should create a base texture for sidewalks and other stuffs to help painters create buildings.

rfg123

Quote from: Packer on April 09, 2012, 02:42:13 PM
rfg123, You lost all that research? Ouch. You wouldn't mind if I used your roads in combination with Issac's would you? (need early roads)

Well, I finally managed to obtain my original research. Some of it is gone, such as bus timelines, architectual sytle timelines, etc. However, some of it is still intact. In addition, I have a lot of Raven's old pak64 parts including dozens of steam, diesel, and electric locomotives, railcars, trucks, and a few biuldings. It will take some time to sift through it all and see what is usable but there is some basic framework for a USA themed pakset.

Perhaps most useful is the rail locomotive timeline - it covers 1828-2015 starting with the 4-2-0 Jervis type dual purpose (passenger and freight) locomotive, and ending with the GE ES44AC and EMD SD70ACe for freight, the GE P42DC for passenger, and ABB ALP-46 for electric by 2015. At every point in the diesel era, there is at least 1 electric, 1 passenger, and 2 freight locomotives for each year. There is also room for "special" locomotives/trainsets that do not necessarily fit the timeline, such as the TurboTrain, Shays, rebuilds, etc.
I am going to continue going through what I have and see what can be used, updates to follow.

greenling

rfg123
You devlop Pakfiles for a Pakset?

Emil Sawicki

There's a problem: some steam locomotives don't have the smoke. Packer, you should define it in the dat file.
Simutrans 123, Windows 10

Fifty

Yes, known problem, fixes to smoke is on my to do list with dat file work.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

greenling

Cool.The projekt for Pak64.usa goes forward.

Packer

Thanks for covering that one Fifty.

I've got some trams done up, but I really don't have any idea on how to balance them as they are kinda small IRL.

Haven't really touched the buildings recently as I've been working on figuring out what to do for those 2 towers I coded as attractions*. I got the apartments I've coded as attractions be okay in a rotated view, but am stumped as to what to do for a base tile to make those 1x2 towers be 2x2 with some base. The rotated view thing kinda bugs me.

*Well, okay that and testing the vehicles. I'm finding some that are useless due to being too heavy or not having enough gear...

Edit: Found a bug with the FEF northern's tender (an extra I threw in). Fixed it in the attached pak below
The Pack is back!!

Packer

BUMP

Due to RL issues I haven't been able to keep at the feverish pace I was. I'm situated again and can resume work.

I'm actually considering modifying the trains to have lighting like normal simutrans. That way it'd be easier to include new add-ons from other creators.

IDK if anyone still follows this anymore, but input would be much appreciated.
The Pack is back!!

rfg123

Is this project still alive at all? This is probably the most progress made towards a USA pakset and I would hate to see it kill over before reaching full steam.

Although I have been busy as of late, I have tried pulling a few open source TTD sprites and experimenting with coding them for Simutrans. There haven't been too many issues other than the lighting, which is easily corrected.

greenling

Hello rfg123
I think that packer in moment have very many trouble that he have no free time for those projekt.

Packer

Yeah, I really haven't had a whole lot of time. But that should change soon.

Life hasn't given me a whole lot of free time. Service industry + tourist destination + full time college + girlfriend + contract work = no free time... It's starting to slow down a bit, so I can get back to work on this.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

*blows the dust off of this thread*

Geez. I really should get back to this. No new progress, mainly because of the lack of free time or just deciding which way I want to go..

The OTTD truck set I was helping with has been delayed indefinitely. So it looks like the truck selection is gonna be limited for a while. I can pull the American stuff out of pak64 and scale down the ones from pak128 and flip them, along with using the few North American road vehicles

Still lost about which ships to use, but there is a nicely done OTTD plane set I could probably use because it has a lot of American planes in it. I haven't played simutrans in a while, so I forgot what it has...

As far as the buildings go, I would like some other people to chime in on what they think are American-looking building. I have a few ideas, but some may have other ideas..

If I could get some people to volunteer as balancers, building pickers, and some one to keep me from waffling (i.e.; stay with reverse shading or go back to default shading, etc), that'd be great.
The Pack is back!!

rfg123

I know this thread has been quiet for a while.. But last year I pulled some buildings from OTTD that seemed relatively North American. However, they more or less were for a personal project just to test the waters. The problem is the majority of the buildings were for two specific eras - the late 19th century and the mid 20th century. Lots of gaps time period wise, but a start none the less.

My only concern is that I do not know what the limitations were per the authors, even though the majority were created by Raven or were default buildings for OTTD. As such I am hesitant to post them here just yet. If we could figure that out we would have a decent start to this pakset building and prop wise.

prissi

Raven gave general Ok for all graphics including OpenTTD one a long time ago.

The OpenTTD graphics supplied with the game (not the "original" ones, but the "repainted" ones) are CC, so those could be ok too.

Fifty

I'm still around and happy to help, though I fear my free time will soon evaporate. I have lots of balancing spreadsheets and notes about existing fixes to be made, mostly just small errors in the dat files.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about balance in the first stages, the key would be to get a playable pak out there to generate interest, and then tweak pricing, etc.

In terms of shading, this is your call: which one will be less work, overall?
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?