News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Joining make each client run later than the newer ones

Started by prissi, April 06, 2012, 07:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

I had a server and four clients on a local machine. Server is top and newest client is the bottom in the screenshot. Each client lacks further behind the previous ones; even though they are all on the same local machine. I think this explains the reported large lag when more than two clients joined a server.

Dwachs

I could not reproduce this with 5 clients running the yoshi game.

How did you manage to achieve this?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Four clients with the yoshi game. But the simpliest game is sufficient to achieve this too. Maybe this is due to my machine have only two cores? (Windows7)

I have set server_frames_ahead = 8

On first joining everything is ok. But the second client gets the restart command eight frames after the first client and so on. They do not unpause at the same time, but they unpause as soon as the server is finished. That would not be bad, but the lagging clients never do any effort to come closer to the server. Didn't we once had a mechanism to ensure this?

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Dwachs

No. I could not reproduce it, so it seems to be OS or hardware-related.

Did you observe something similar?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.