News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[New vehicles] First generation DMUs

Started by jamespetts, April 22, 2012, 01:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have finally got around to filling a fairly significant gap in the railway timeline: first generation DMUs. I have also added multiple liveries up to and including the BR sectorisation era (early 1980s to 1995) for existing and new first generation DMUs.

The new DMUs added are:

• BR Derby Lightweight (1954) (low density)
  • BR Class 117 (1959) (high density/commuter)
  • BR Class 128 (1959) (parcels - single car)
  • BR Class 123 (1963) (inter-urban)
The existing DMUs with new liveries are:

• BR Class 121 (1960) (high density/commuter - single car)
  • BR Class 104 (1957) (low density)
The images and .dat files are all available in full on my Github repository.

Some sample images follow:
Class 117 (DMS, BR blue/grey)

Class 117 (TCL - NSE)

BR Class 117 (DMBS - BR blue)

BR Class 121 (Regional Railways):

BR Class 123 (DMS - BR green)

BR Class 123 (DMBS, BR blue/grey)

BR Class 128 (BR blue)

BR Class 128 (Royal Mail)

BR Derby lightweight (DTCL - BR Green)

BR Derby lightweight (DMBS, BR Blue)

BR Derby Lightweight (DTCL, "white" livery*)

* These units never carried this livery in service, as they were all withdrawn in 1969. However, I thought that it would be interesting to give them this short-lived but elegant livery in case any players wished to use them into the 1980s.

For convenience of adaptation to Standard, here is an extract from en.tab with all of the translations:

BR-Derby-Lightweight-DTCL
BR Derby Lightweight DMU
BR-Derby-Lightweight-DMBS
BR Derby Lightweight DMU (rear)
BR-117-DMS
BR Class 117 DMU
BR-117-TCL
BR Class 117 DMU (centre trailer)
BR-117-DMBS
BR Class 117 DMU (rear)
BR-123-DMBS
BR Class 123 inter-city DMU
BR-123-TCK
BR Class 123 inter-city DMU (corridor trailer)
BR-123-TS
BR Class 123 inter-city DMU (open trailer)
BR-123-TBS
BR Class 123 inter-city DMU (buffet)
BR-123-DMS
BR Class 123 inter-city DMU (rear)
BR-128
BR Class 128 DMU
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

There's something strange about your render settings for the class 123 and 128 (maybe others?) as there is a difference in light along the length of the vehicle. Otherwise, good job :)

jamespetts

Hmm - I didn't make any changes from the render settings that were loaded with the files. I remember The Hood talking about an issue with roofs having this issue, relating to versions of blender higher than 2.4.x, but not the rest of the vehicles.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

It's noticeable on both roofs and sides...

jamespetts

The Hood

It possibly is the issue you talk about above, if you have modified a blend file from an old version of blender. To fix you need to select the object, press t-key, then select "flat" from the options. "smooth" is rendered differently in newer versions and causes odd shading.

jamespetts

Ahh - I thought that it was all about the "normals". Hmm. Can one select all objects at once and do this?

The Hood

Sadly not I don't think (blender generally doesn't, which annoys me). You can generally get away with just doing the largest pieces on the scale we are at though.

jamespetts

Hmm - are all of these vehicles affected by the smooth/flat issue? Is it only noticeable on the roofs, ends and side panels, or do things such as under-frames and wheels need re-doing?

The Hood

Looks like just the 123 and 128 to me. I wouldn't worry about the underframe, just sides and roof.

jamespetts

As to the 123 - I only posted sample images here, although all images are in the Github repository. Are the green versions of the Mk. I carriages problematic here, too, or just the driving cars?

The Hood

I'm trying to test these but everytime I try browsing the images on Github the browser hangs. Any chance you could send through the green versions of the 117, 128 and derby lightweight, and the blue-grey version of the 123 (or post here)?

jamespetts

Hmm, that's odd: what browser do you use?

Images linked below:

Derby lightweight

123 (trailer cars re-use Mk. 1 TSO/TSK images)

Edit: Also, you can just setup Git to download my whole repository to your hard drive, which eliminates the need for browsing.

kierongreen

Seamonkey (Mozilla) is very slow at browsing github for me too, the javascript code takes ages to run... Downloading requires space/bandwidth - plus I find it a real pain keeping local repositories up to date with git (svn: svn update, git: git stash; git pull; git stash apply)

Of the images you just posted 123 is the only one I can see with lighting errors.

The Hood

I think the Derby lightweight also may have lighting errors - the different orientations have different shades for similar angles which looks odd...

jamespetts

Hmm - that's odd. What might cause that, do you think?

kierongreen

Having a flat/shadeless colour with a weird normal on the roof maybe?

The Hood

I can investigate if you let me have the blends?

jamespetts

The Hood

'fraid that results in the same problem as viewing pngs in github - frozen browser (Mozilla). I can view the lists and dat files, but larger files are unbearably slow/frozen. What do I need to type into git console in order to download them individually from your git repository?

jamespetts

Hmm - that's very odd. Have you tried Firefox?

Do you have Git for Windows? If so, you can download via the GUI. The URL that you should insert for a remote repository is: git://github.com/jamespetts/Pak128.Britain-blends.git

jamespetts

I've made an attempt to fix the shading for the class 123 and 128 (which should be reflected in the above pictures). Is this better now?

kierongreen

Thanks, 123 looks fixed. 128 still has some shading issues on sides but roof is ok now.

jamespetts

Hmm - that's very odd, because the 128 is a single object for the whole body (based, I think, on your 121), so I selected all faces and set to "shade flat". I'm not quite sure what else that one could do...

jamespetts

I have now fixed an alignment problem with all of these DMUs, as well as the shading problems with the Derby Lightweight roofs.

kierongreen

This screenshot seems to show lighting problems?

jamespetts

Do you mean on the roof of the buffet (second carriage from the left)? If so, I have fixed that, the fixed version being on Github. If you mean something else, I'm not sure that I can spot it - can you let me know what it is?

kierongreen

Yep I was referring to that carriage, glad to hear it's fixed :)

The Hood

Great to hear they are all fixed. I've added them to standard.

jamespetts

Splendid - and welcome back! I should probably update the forums on the latest progress with railway carriages and locomotives, too now that you've returned...

The Hood

Yes please - and thanks for all the graphics you've made while I'm away (and other people too).

jamespetts

You're welcome! It'll be difficult to post individual links to all the items - have you resolved your issue with Github yet? If so, you could just extract all the new things from that. If not, we can give some further consideration of the best way of getting the new things into Standard.

The Hood

I've now got my head around Git GUI enough to download a local copy of your repository. I'm slowly going through it and making standard versions of the dat files and deleting unnecessary additional livery graphics. It would be good to know from you what you add and how you think it should fit in standard as you do it though.

sdog

The lighting mistake on the roof of the buffet car looked like it was the soot from the diesel engine exhaust (i assumed the middle car had the engine.)

It might be a good idea to darken the car with the engine, to give it soot stains.