News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Assistance in resolving linker errors in Makeobj

Started by jamespetts, April 29, 2012, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I should be very grateful if anyone could help me to resolve a difficulty that I have encountered with compiling Makeobj on the -devel branch. I get the following error generated, ultimately, I think, by vehicle_writer.cc:

1>vehicle_writer.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall slist_tpl<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >::slist_tpl<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >(class slist_tpl<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > const &)"(??0?$slist_tpl@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@@QAE@ABV0@@Z)

I am not sure quite what #includes are missing, since slist_tpl.h is included, and I have a using std::string directive. Adding #include<string> made no difference.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Dwachs

a copy-constructor for slist_tpl<whatever> is missing. My guess: this error comes from such lines:

liverykeys_empty.append(slist_tpl<string>());

You have to replace this by just

liverykeys_empty.append( );

It will do exactly the same.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Hmm - it seems that I spoke too soon: the automated compiler is still giving me the following error from the master branch:

===> LD  ../build/simutrans-exp/makeobj/makeobj
../build/simutrans-exp/besch/writer/vehicle_writer-makeobj.o: In function `node_t':
/home/simutrans/simutrans-exp/makeobj/../besch/writer/../../dataobj/../tpl/slist_tpl.h:42: undefined reference to `slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >::slist_tpl(slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > const&)'
/home/simutrans/simutrans-exp/makeobj/../besch/writer/../../dataobj/../tpl/slist_tpl.h:42: undefined reference to `slist_tpl<slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >::slist_tpl(slist_tpl<slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
/home/simutrans/simutrans-exp/makeobj/../besch/writer/../../dataobj/../tpl/slist_tpl.h:42: undefined reference to `slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >::slist_tpl(slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > const&)'
/home/simutrans/simutrans-exp/makeobj/../besch/writer/../../dataobj/../tpl/slist_tpl.h:42: undefined reference to `slist_tpl<slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >::slist_tpl(slist_tpl<slist_tpl<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../build/simutrans-exp/makeobj/makeobj] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/simutrans/simutrans-exp/makeobj'

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Dwachs

In your master branch you still have stuff like

liverykeys_freight.append(slist_tpl<slist_tpl<string> >());

which seems to be fixed already on the other branch....

Please revert this change:
https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental/commit/1d9e3733cd8b0a2223508f8edfc6c2b681eb9c94
It only obfuscates error messages, as these come now from the linker not the compiler.

Edit: I am quite certain that you should insert

liverykeys_freight.at(i).append()

before the loop
for(int freight = 0; freight < freight_max; freight++)

jamespetts

Thank you for that - that is most helpful! May I ask - there are two instances of:

for(int freight = 0; freight < freight_max; freight++)

To which were you referring when you wrote that I need to insert

liverykeys_freight.at(i).append()

before it?

Dwachs

I was referring to the nested loops that modify liverykeys_freight. Imho you have to insert liverykeys_freight.at(i).append() before line 387 in vehivle_writer.cc