News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Horse-drawn bicycles?

Started by MCollett, May 01, 2012, 09:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCollett

On starting a (Pak128.Britain-Experimental) game in 1919, I was slightly disconcerted to discover that even though horse-drawn buses were already obsolete, I needed to build a 'coaching stable' -- the only depot allowed to purchase mail bicycles!  Is this really intended?

Best wishes,
Matthew

AP

[OT] Surely a horse-drawn bi-cycle is in fact just a chariot? :)

rsdworker

sounds like its needs reworked - james will look at your report

i may ask which version you using? - the latest one shows 3 depots - the horse depot is obsolete which should be disappeared from menu

the diesel one is available - there should be depot for it

The Hood

I'm assuming this is because the horse-depot is simply a depot that builds "biological" engines - which of course bikes are too...

MCollett

Quote from: rsdworker on May 02, 2012, 07:09:20 AM
i may ask which version you using? - the latest one shows 3 depots - the horse depot is obsolete which should be disappeared from menu

the diesel one is available - there should be depot for it

I'm using the current releases: version 0.8.3 of the pak running under Experimental 10.11.  Both steam and diesel garages are of course available, but neither can purchase bicycles.  My own inclination is to think that bicycles (and also drovers) should count as 'unpowered' for this purpose, and be available from all road depots.

Best wishes,
Matthew

wlindley

Would it also have been prototypical in the Victorian era, to have goods bicycles? 

AP

QuoteWould it also have been prototypical in the Victorian era, to have goods bicycles?
Am pretty sure butchers and other tradespersons delivered around town on bicycles, I think I read it was a late-victorian thing, cycling gaining popularity.

Of course, it will have been more for lighter goods over short distances (post, newspapers, foodstuffs). A coalman on a bike might have a tough time of it, but the game simulates weight and speed anyway, can't imagine bikes working too well with heavy cargo.

jamespetts

MCollett,

thank you for the report, and welcome to the forums! Well spotted on the bicycle thing - as The Hood points out, bicycles are treated as having a traction type of "biological", which means that they can only be built in depots that support that. I have now modified the setup for the next version so that diesel depots after 1919 and trolleybus depots can both build bicycles as well as 'buses and trolleybuses.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on May 03, 2012, 10:20:24 AM
MCollett,

thank you for the report, and welcome to the forums! Well spotted on the bicycle thing - as The Hood points out, bicycles are treated as having a traction type of "biological", which means that they can only be built in depots that support that. I have now modified the setup for the next version so that diesel depots after 1919 and trolleybus depots can both build bicycles as well as 'buses and trolleybuses.

what about bicycles depots - a smaller depots which for bicycles which appears in late 20 century which only provides bicycles - like today's post offices which have bicycles depot for some places

jamespetts

Hmm - that would require bicycles to have their own traction type; do people think that it is worth it for that?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on May 03, 2012, 06:07:40 PM
Hmm - that would require bicycles to have their own traction type; do people think that it is worth it for that?

sounds good

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on May 03, 2012, 06:07:40 PM
Don't see a benefit unless you're planing on doing restrictive waytypes (bus lanes, cycle lanes).

rsdworker

Quote from: AP on May 03, 2012, 06:32:44 PM
Don't see a benefit unless you're planing on doing restrictive waytypes (bus lanes, cycle lanes).
well in real life - depots are commonly based at normal roads so bicycles shouldn't be problem
the waytypes are good idea BUT i was refering the depots could be used on normal roads well in simtrans

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on May 03, 2012, 10:20:24 AM
I have now modified the setup for the next version so that diesel depots after 1919 and trolleybus depots can both build bicycles as well as 'buses and trolleybuses.

That sounds like a reasonable solution.

Thanks,
Matthew

neroden

Quote from: AP on May 03, 2012, 06:32:44 PM

Oooh, neat future project idea...