News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Stalled out in simutranslator

Started by neroden, May 06, 2012, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neroden

I just realized I should tell y'all why I haven't been doing anything on Simutrans.  This time, for once, it's not just "busy".

I was working hard on merging pak128.Britain standard into pak128.Britain experimental, but I hit the point where prissi changed all the translations in standard.  He did a bad job.    So I went in to fix it.  However, I still have not been able to get administrative access to upload objects for pak128.britain to simutranslator.  As soon as I do that, I can correct the missing and broken objects.  Then I can update all the translations to the "best" version of the name (in some cases experimental had better capitalized / parenthesized train names).  I can then get that pushed back into standard.

Then I would have to get another pak entered into simutranslator for pak128.britain experimental.  I could then upload the experimental objects there, automatically copy over most of the translations, and then fix up the ones which need to be different.  At that point I could get back to merging.

However, this has been stalled for several months due to inability to get the correct access privileges in simutranslator.  I am already classed as a "pakadmin", but I need to be authorized (as a "co-maintainer", I guess?) to import objects for pak128.britain -- and then I need to be able to create a separate pak128.britain.experimental section in simutranslator and import objects to it.

I have no idea who I need to ask in order to be able to do this; prissi apparently doesn't really know how to change this.  Tomas Kubes?

EDIT: I don't mean to insult prissi's work too much, it was a perfectly good "first draft", but it still needs to be fixed.

jamespetts

Hmm, I think that it's Frank in charge of Simutranslator, isn't it? It was a long time ago that I was authorised on that, so I can't remember the details, but I think that it's Frank. Thank you for letting me know the position, in any case - it's good that you are still around in one form or another! Other than suggesting that you contact Frank, however, I am not sure what can be done about the translations position. I have generally avoided merging the somewhat muddled new set of translation texts into Pak128.Britain-Ex, but copied accross blocks of text manually for sets of new objects, such as the new city buildings and Underground trains.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

The person to ask about translator access is JonasBB (server admin), or at least that's how I remember him. Maybe he uses a different name here, but you should be able to tell who it is by reading a few threads in STL board.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Frank

create a new set -> translator users to role admin ( vsys, jonasbb, Dwachs, napik, prissi )

set comaintainter -> user role admin ( for this planed set maintainter to new settings page )

VS

You're still around :) I thought Jonas was last...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

neroden

OK, thanks.  So what I need is

(1) for someone (vsys, jonasbb, Dwachs, napik, prissi) to go ahead and create a pak.britain.experimental set.  I don't need the permanent ability to create new sets, I just need that one set to exist so I can upload objects to it.  It can start with one object or a clone of pak.britain or whatever, I can fix the contents afterwards.  The chief maintainer for pak.britain.experimental should probably be James Petts, and the co-maintainers should probably include the co-maintainers of pak.britain.

(2) for someone to give me comaintainer status specifically on pak.britain and pak.britain.experimental.  Can this be authorized by the chief maintainer of the set (James Petts / James Hood) or do I need an admin to do this?  Prissi doesn't seem to remember how to do it...

EDIT: Who should I ask?  Jonasbb?  Vsys?  Dwachs?  Napik?

jamespetts

This seems like a sensible idea: you will need to ask Frank, I think, who is in charge of Simutranslator.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

neroden

Oh-kay.  I've already contacted Frank.  I still have the problem.  When I go to "import object", and go to "Select Set...", there are NO SETS AVAILABLE to select.

I'll try private-messaging jonasbb?  This is extremely frustrating.  I've been unable to make progress on simutrans for many months because of this. 

Perhaps simutranslator is a dead project and I will have to write an alternative version from scratch.  That would suck.

jamespetts

Hmm - I'm not sure what to suggest other than asking Frank. You could try JonasBB, I suppose?

neroden

FYI, in case any admins are wondering, TheHood has given me permission to be an uploader and editor of objects for pak128.britain in simutranslator, in this thread:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=7850.25;topicseen

So I have permission from the maintainer, months ago, why am I not a co-maintainer yet?!?!

This is, in a nutshell, what is wrong with the simutrans "community".

EDIT: THANK YOU JONASBB!  Back to working on simutrans now!