News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Gasworks - graphics improved

Started by jamespetts, May 06, 2012, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have finally got around to fixing the graphics of the gasworks to remove the black borders that had accumulated around the edges. The graphic is here:

and the .dat file is here.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Great! Unfortunately, if I can be picky, there are still some areas which appear to be completely black with no texture:

AP

I'd also suggest, if I may - the barrel-vaulted roofs are rather unusual, I don't know if there's a precedent they are being based on. I suspect it would be lead, in which case it's rather dark. If so would also have stripes - parallel arched lines up and over the barrel vault, being the rolls between the sheets of lead.

I'm not sure if the brick texture is tileing excessively, or if the walls have a 3d form (butresses etc), the brickwork texture looks to be a bit more patchy than usual is all.

jamespetts

Hmm - I'm not sure what sort of texture that they would have. They are intended to represent metal items (tanks and cylinders) simply painted matt black. I am not sure what sort of texture would suffice for that other than just a plain black colour, as I have used.

AP - I did get the idea for the roofs of that shape from either a real gasworks or a model. I can no longer find the original photograph that I used, but below is a photograph of a similarly roofed building used in a gasworks (albeit this one with a gentler curve):

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

For textures/colours for matt black surfaces, use a dark grey instead (#000000 is reserved for interiors so looks odd elsewhere, especially as you can't then see shading). I'd recommend use of clouds texture to get a bit of variation and maybe rust.

jamespetts

Hmm - I thought that I had used a dark charcoal grey colour rather than pure black...

The Hood

It doesn't look that way. If you did - perhaps go for something paler, more akin to the roof colours? Quick hint for when you do change it - keep the current image and use the #e7ffff colours as a mask to quickly trim excess borders off the new image.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on May 07, 2012, 12:03:41 PM
It doesn't look that way. If you did - perhaps go for something paler, more akin to the roof colours? Quick hint for when you do change it - keep the current image and use the #e7ffff colours as a mask to quickly trim excess borders off the new image.

Hmm - how would this work with an image that has been cut with TileCutter?

The Hood

Cut the image before you remove the excess borders then use the current (cut) image as a mask... (select by colour in Gimp, then copy and paste...)

jamespetts

Ohh, I see - use the current outline of the blue parts as the mask? Interesting idea...

The Hood

James, I'm just trying to tie off some loose ends in pak128.Britain. Did you ever get round to changing the pure black parts on this to a textured dark grey?

jamespetts

Haven't managed to get around to this, but have been working on some narrow gauge vehicles, which might be worthwhile to include in the next release.

The Hood

I look forward to any contributions! I also notice the DMUs haven't been redone to correct the shading. They would make a good addition too.

The Hood

I'm just giving this a quick poke as wlindley has done some new industry graphics for the old pharmaceutical chain which tie in with gasworks. I will include this, but it would be nice for the improved graphics whenever possible.