News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Run-time speed variation beyond "fast forward"

Started by jamespetts, December 14, 2008, 03:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

One thing that might be helpful (and fairly easy to code) is a means of making incremental changes to the passage of time in the game in rather more incremental steps than pressing the "fast forward" button (which, I understand, increases speed by a factor of 10).

Instead of having a choice between a speed of 1 or of 10, it might be helpful to be able to increase speed in arbitrary steps during runtime, using a slider bar or something similar, to allow players, for example, to set speed to 1.2 or 1.5 or 2 times the default base speed. That way, players could more finely control the passage of time, helping to keep them interested and set the pace of play more accurately depending on what is happening.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DirrrtyDirk

Try to press your "." and "," keys and you will see that this is already possible (and has been so for a looooooong time)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

prissi

Fast forward runs as fast as you want it to go (and the computer can do). The actual value is defined in simuconf.tab

jamespetts

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on December 14, 2008, 03:47:43 PM
Try to press your "." and "," keys and you will see that this is already possible (and has been so for a looooooong time)

Ahh. Didn't realise. Thank you! Perhaps buttons could be made for these, since it can be hard for new users (and even some not so new users!) to find features such as these if they are only accessible via keyboard shortcut...

And, Prissi, I am aware of that: however, what I was after was a way to do so at runtime, not in a configuarion file, so that players could constantly adjust the speed while playing.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: jamespetts on December 14, 2008, 04:10:13 PM
Perhaps buttons could be made for these

That's for pakset maintainers to decide. It is already possible, with only very little effort.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Yes, easily possible.

But I wouldn't mind another "lesser main" toolbar, at the right side of screen... the top one can't hold too much clutter. That's why it isn't done.

And I'm not buying "everyone has wide screens these days".

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!