News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Suspended monorail (Schwebebahn) needs correction of Images

Started by Václav, May 12, 2012, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I have found that suspended monorail (Schwebebahn) got FrontImages - but this change was not perfect.

1. Diagonal tiles disappeared - and so, where they were, there is row of curves and building is not looking good
2. FrontImages and BackImages were prepared wrong. May it be that pictures were prepared well and dat files not - but it seems like dat file is OK and pictures were not changed in right way - because originally vehicles were in the front of track, and now is behind track

Mostly for point 2 I created screenshot I attached to this post. Screenshot shows vehicles in diagonal tile - but situation on basic tiles is the same. I am worried about that only one way is preparing of new track.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

VS

Can you please make a screenshot showing #1 ? I'm not sure if I understand that...

#2 - Oops, some pillars should be in backimage.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

VS, you can see point #1 at that screenshot too - look to the right of monorail station - where train goes.

Originally there were diagonal tiles - because track is laid in diagonal direction for too long distance (5 tiles).

And by the right side of picture, there is another place where track is laid in diagonal direction - 3 tiles from train station to crossing - and more than 3 tiles from crossing up.

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, my guess is that this is actually a program bug... Looking at the dat and the png, it seems to me that the only change was to reassign almost all images to frontimages, but nothing more. And that should not affect diagonals.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Fabio

I might take a shot at overhauling the schwebebahn in the near future, I have a couple of ideas I would like to try...

Dwachs

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on May 12, 2012, 01:18:46 PM
Ok, my guess is that this is actually a program bug... Looking at the dat and the png, it seems to me that the only change was to reassign almost all images to frontimages, but nothing more. And that should not affect diagonals.
I can confirm that there is a program bug. The program checks only background images to decide whether the way has diagonal images. (same for switches)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

WRT the original report, I'm working on splitting the graphic into front and back...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

The bug that no diagonal images are shown is fixed in r5708.

VS

Both schwebebahn ways should be fixed with r863.

(edit: The bridge hasn't been touched yet, maybe it does not need?)

But there is now another ugly bug... the way is drawn on top of depot. Not sure how to bypass this...?

DirrrtyDirk

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Well, yeah... This sounds like revisiting the drawing order hell, though, so I'm sympathetic to the programmer(s) :) I hope this doesn't lead to stuff like SuperFrontImage :P

Fabio

VS, try this workaround:
- depots are built on terminal tiles, hence terminal tiles might have only back and no front image.

Just try it and let me know, please ;)

Václav

Diagonal tiles corrected, I confirm. One bug eliminated.

Quote from: Fabio on May 12, 2012, 10:48:06 PM
VS, try this workaround:
- depots are built on terminal tiles, hence terminal tiles might have only back and no front image.
Depots need both images - for coverage of tracks. But you may think that there front image is missing, or not?

Dwachs

Fabio suggested to remove the front image of the way. This front image will be always drawn on top of front image of depot.

Fabio

Sybill

I have the same problem with my tube rail depots. The front image of the depot should be drawn on top of the  front image of the way, otherwise it's impossible to use front images for ways at all. Or it must be possible to make special end tiles for ways (without front images) only for the use with depots and maybe stations.
Maybe I miss something, but I can't see a solution here - other than make the depot looking like the front image of the way.

Dwachs

An option would be to not show the front image if there is a depot on the tile. This could lead to other sort of errors as well.

Dwachs

There is a related report at the German forum:

http://simutrans-forum.de/forum/thread.php?postid=83000#post83000

Images are wrong on sloped tiles. I did not check whether it is already fixed.

VS

Re bug linked by Dwachs: I think it's a bug of the program, too. Maybe. There are two components to the problem:

1) The images shown there are the "down" slopes of way, which are for some reason... raised above the bridge? Try building the normal "low" schwebebahn on sides of a ditch and bridging these, it shows well.

2) It may be connected to the fact that these are front images. Ideally, they should be hidden by the bridge... I think. Dunno why it works for other ways. Will investigate more once I have time.

Dwachs

VS