News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

USA North-East Map (now with smaller versions)

Started by Carl, May 19, 2012, 04:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Here's a new heightmap of the USA's north-eastern states (including a little of Canada):

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs9lfklxpn28ot0/USA-NE.rar?dl=0
The archive contains two versions: huge (3500*4000) and large (2200*2500).

Also, here are four smaller maps based on those humongous offerings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee0xoxvr288igzz/USA-NE-Smaller-Maps.rar?dl=0

If there's demand, I could make a version of this with real cities in their actual locations. Is anybody interested in this? If so, post below and let me know what pakset you'd most like to see -- since I'll only make it in one pakset.

---

About the map:

The map runs from Toronto in the NW corner, across to Maine in the NE corner, and as far south as Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina. It includes all of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Washington DC, almost all of New Hampshire, Vermont, Philadelphia, and Virginia, and some of West Virginia.

It's a map with lots of beautiful, varied and challenging terrain -- ranging from coastal areas to mountainous areas.

Lubak91

(Off topic): And will map of Middle Europe? Please please ;)
So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

Carl

I'm always open to suggestions :) -- what do you mean by "middle europe", exactly?

Lubak91

Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Poland,... Or better Czech Republic and environs ;)
So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

Combuijs

Nice map again! Will likely publish it tomorrow on the Simutrans maps website! I only would call the sizes large and huge  :D .
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Lubak91

ӔO

Nice map. I recall new york to buffalo being particularly difficult terrain from RRT3.

It would be nice to see land below sea level for this map, as the great lakes are around 80m above sea level
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Carl

Indeed, that would be good -- sadly, the map sources I was using only have above-water elevations.

Combuijs -- thanks! Yes, I do have a taste for the large maps :) -- if one wanted a smaller map, it would be easy enough to crop the map file in Gimp to restrict it to a particular part of the map.

Combuijs

Quote from: ӔO on May 19, 2012, 06:19:01 PM
It would be nice to see land below sea level for this map, as the great lakes are around 80m above sea level

I don't think that will be possible with just a height map. You might do it with a savegame if Kierongreen's water patch is in, but never with a heightmap.

greenling

The Maps have a bug!
The map cannot be divided by 8!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

kierongreen

QuoteIt would be nice to see land below sea level for this map, as the great lakes are around 80m above sea level
A couple of points to note with this - as the height difference is only 80m this would probably work out as one or so tile so wouldn't be too noticeable. Also lakes cannot join the edge of the map, you'd have to create an artificial barrier to separate the two. So Lake Ontario would be ok, but Lake Erie would need a barrier (but as this would only be one tile high it wouldn't stick out too much).

Not to mention there's no way of editing heights of large bodies of water yet...

Carl

Quote from: greenling on May 19, 2012, 06:40:09 PM
The Maps have a bug!
The map cannot be divided by 8!

Could you explain what you mean?

Quote from: Combuijs on May 19, 2012, 06:25:06 PM
I don't think that will be possible with just a height map. You might do it with a savegame if Kierongreen's water patch is in, but never with a heightmap.

Since all the water on this map is technically sea, it could be defined at different levels on the heightmap (by darker shades of grey) -- but it would have to all be done manually.

Combuijs

On the Simutrans Maps website now, also on the blog.

Carl

Thanks Combuijs. I had no idea it was the largest map around! I think I must have lost my perspective on what counts as a reasonable size for a map. Next time I'll make a more reasonable range of sizes! :)

Junna

Quote from: carlbaker on May 20, 2012, 10:46:57 AM
Thanks Combuijs. I had no idea it was the largest map around! I think I must have lost my perspective on what counts as a reasonable size for a map. Next time I'll make a more reasonable range of sizes! :)

No, no, the larger the better. The only trouble is when they get large enough that they run really slow; I made a 8000x5000 map once, would crash every other attempt to load it.

Carl

Here is a set of four smaller maps based on the two above, for those who don't like (or can't run) huge maps. I'll also add the link to the original post.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61716/USA-NE-Smaller-Maps.rar

New York City and Long Island, 840 x 398

Delmarva and the Appalachians, 1480 x 1230
A map which captures the full variety of terrain -- from coast to mountains -- whilst remaining a manageable size

New England Coast, 640 x 830
A more coastal experience.

Boston to Niagara, 2040 x 830
This map is covers the same area as the Railroad Tycoon 3 map that AEO mentioned above -- from

All four are in the archive above.

Quote from: Junna on May 21, 2012, 07:26:33 AM
No, no, the larger the better. The only trouble is when they get large enough that they run really slow; I made a 8000x5000 map once, would crash every other attempt to load it.

I'll still make huge maps, I'll just make sure to create smaller sub-versions too. I'm definitely a fan of the humongous maps :)

Combuijs

Smaller versions also published on the Simutrans Map website and a honourful mention in the Simutrans blog...