News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

R5729 Win: Hang on growing cities

Started by Carl, May 20, 2012, 11:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

If you place a new city and grow it repeatedly, the game will eventually hang for minutes at a time -- sometimes indefinitely. This usually comes after the city has over 10,000 citizens. The effect may be worse on large maps.

Dwachs

Could not reproduce this, it works for me for cities up to 100.000 size. Which pak? Can you upload the savegame / map, where this happens ?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Junna

Is this with experimental? For I do remember having this happen to me quite numerous times in experimental, albeit not, to my memory, in standard.

Carl

I observed this on pak64 and pak128, more often with maps larger than 2000*2000. That might be what's making the difference. I'll test this again tonight to see whether it is exclusively tied to large maps.

Junna -- I was testing in Standard, but it's quite likely that the relevant code is unchanged in Experimental, so also likely that the same bug would show up there.

Carl

As promised:

On a 1500x1500 map (no cities) in pak128 2.0.0:

-- Place one city, grow it to 50,000, no problem
-- Place second city, grow it to a significant amount = game hangs and appears not to recover.

Perhaps this is related to industry placement or similar (since industries appear as population grows)?

I should note that I'm using an amended menuconf.tab (as suggested by Combuijs here) to make growing the cities 1000 citizens at a time, but I doubt this could be the cause.

prissi

Most of the long interruptions (with pedestrians still moving) are spent in the factory chain constructor. With very large maps, search for palces with factories takes very long (another area for multithreaded code, since this search is read only on plain ground tiles.

The logfile should tell you what was attempted last, i.e. if this is actually the case.

Carl

Thanks prissi.

So one could presumably avoid this by making the "industry_increase_every" value very high, to curb expansion of industry chains.

prissi

setting it to zero will not expand at all.