News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

New building type: park

Started by jk271, May 21, 2012, 09:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

The problem is within 3x3 city rule a corner (highly desirable) and a diagonal road are the same. with 5x5 rule you can alleviate this. You just need proper rules for it. (As said, in pak64 [or pak64.german] this was dealt with.)

jamespetts

Hmm, interesting.But is there a way of preserving the diagonal roads and enabling building in the vicinity?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Prissi has already said: by using 5x5 rules..

jamespetts

I asked because earlier he had written that Pak64 discouraged growing out on a diagonal, rather than allowed it but prevented the diagonal roads becoming messed up by lateral roads (which is what I consider a preferable solution).

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

kierongreen

Well you can enable building of houses without enabling building of streets. Something like this rule might cover the case of extending off diagonals

# . . . . . . .
# . . . . . . s
# . . . S . s s
# . . S n s s .
# . . . s s . .
# . . s s . . .
# . s s . . . .

But disabling this completely wouldn't necessarily be desirable

jamespetts

Hmm - that's very interesting. I shall have to look into adapting this rule and the Pak64 rules for Pak128.Britain-Ex. I can't remember off the top of my head - does Pak128.Britain use 3x3, 5x5 or 7x7 rules?

kierongreen

7x7 from the look of it. I'm giving no guarantee that rule works (and looking at it it might work just as well taking the central 3x3 or 5x5 region) - city rules is something I've never tinkered around with much.

Dwachs

Quote from: prissi on May 26, 2012, 08:07:32 PM
Buildings larger than 1x1 would reuire cityrules searchnig for spaces, i.e. a 1x2 set of cityrules. This is in priciple possible. However, the chances that a 1x2 spot is empty in the middle of a city is almost zero. To have such 1x2/2x1 building feasible, there must be a 1x2 building from the start which is then also renovated appropriately.
Larger buildings not necessarily need new city rules. Buildings larger than 1x1 can be build by upgrading smaller buildings. Just check whether there are smaller buildings in the spot, where the larger one is to be build.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

And neither of those buildings must be part of another building. Somehow one has to tell the hausbauer-selector what space would be there too for this. But indeed, that would be possible.

Fabio

Regular buildings being bigger than 1x1 would be a dream come true, I really hope to see it in the near future.

As for diagonal roads, I'm pretty pleased of the rules I devised for regular Pak 128. They are interrupted by side roads, but not in a bad way, and imho it's important they are, as you can't build stops on them, so the only way to serve those buildings is to use the lateral roads. All rules are 7x7.

Roads

For some buildings like an upgrade to city hall or a large park, etc., I would like it if the engine simply gave a message like the one for stations being crowded, show an icon for the availability and let the player place the new building on the map.  If the player chose a location that already had buildings, the new building would simply destroy the old.  If the player chose a location where the terrain was unacceptable, or it partially covered another building, he would get the same message as trying to build an industry on unacceptable terrain.

I can only see two problems with this:
Players might consider it too much micro management and you could possibly have many upgrades at one time.

For us who like determining how the city looks as it grows, the micro management is of no consequence.  As for having many upgrades at one time, couldn't they just be queued?

Ters

I don't want to mess with placing city buildings, and sometimes get annoyed by the messages of city hall upgrading, or rather city growth messages, we already got. (Especially the ones that come in a burst to simulate long lasting construction work in pak64.) Though I sometimes retouch cities and other stuff, I try to keep to my position as a transportation company rather than some allmighty god.

Roads

@Ters

I absolutely understand that many, maybe most people who play this game only want to do transportation related tasks.  It is the original intent of the game.  However, through design or accident, the game provides God like abilities for those of us who like that - and you know, it is fun being a God!  8)

Still, to maintain the original intent of the game and in the spirit of the way the game is developing, why not give both groups what they want?  This could be done by giving the engine the ability to auto build everything but with an option (maybe in simuconf) of letting the player decide where he wants the buildings.  Since strictly transportation people seem less concerned with the appearance of the city, perhaps the placement of new buildings would not have to conform to any specific guidelines, just drop them in wherever there is space available.  Some of the things you already do not like could be incorporated in this idea making the game almost or maybe completely non-intrusive to the user.  Just guessing but I'm thinking this would be especially good for internet play - that is, if playing in non-intrusive mode.