News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Industrial stations & extensions

Started by VS, May 26, 2012, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

It seems the crane progress stalled a bit :P

Meanwhile... how about this? Another important bit for the whole thing. Comments welcome!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Awesome idea!

It's something I wanted to do when I made the current bus stops, but failed to deliver a result...

Next will replace the present loading bay, I hope! ;)

ӔO

maybe some white or yellow road markings for the loading bay?
or even a dead end loading bay.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

mEGa

Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

VS

Can you show me what kind of markings and where they should be? I considered these, but I'm rather clueless...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Maybe zebra marks like those for some of my tram tracks...

VS

Ummm... any idea, what keywords would be good for image searches?

ӔO

'loading bay'
'loading zone'
'loading dock'

seem to give good results.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

VS

How about this?

Zeno

Nice! That kind of markings are used commonly in Spain :)

Fabio

Very nice. Obviously they need to be different if the tile is the farthermost, the middle one or the nearmost.
But the concept is great.

DirrrtyDirk

Really nice! :) But I'd make the painting on the road symmetrical - so that it looks equally well, when people use the "drive_left = 1" option.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

So, umm... maybe final version of that truck station? Symmetrical marks etc.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63534647/road-cargo-stop.zip

Fabio

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Just a few tips:

1) marks could be player color.

2) try to let a "hole" in the center of the stop, between the 2 loading bays. You might want to build this stop downtown (if you happen to have e.g. a supermarket there) and there might be a tram track. The tram is not supposed to stop there, but it can cross it, and the full pavement would hide the tracks.

VS

1) What marks? Ground = blended, impossible. Edge = standardized to black & yellow. I can see why there should be payer colour, but... where? ???

2) Eh :-/ I thought BackImage is drawn before (under) ways... I'll see what can be done about this. But the middle just seems to be the right size for tram track :)

Fabio

1) Ground. You can blend player color and then "repair" it using my tool. You can take a look at the parking lot extensions, where I painfully used kerb marks in player color ;)

2) It is not. Station "back" is painted above tram tracks. Also Tunnel entrance back. You can open a bug report, if you feel it's wrong... :runaway:

martin

I put a small (1x3 tiles) version of a container crane together which could be used for smaller (end)stations...

greenling

martin
The Container cran in Photo looks good out.
Can you please post the Containtercran i will be test him.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

martin

OK, here it is. I coded it as an extension with no waytype assigned to it. You'll find it under "Special Construction Tools" menu

greenling

martin
thank you for the containercran!
i can now testing it.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

mEGa

I tested crane. Good art work.
Martin I have few suggestions :

1) complete pakset :
Why do not create another single plateform with just rail of crane and few waiting containers ? See yellow square in my screenshot ?

2) amelioration of crane design :
I suggest to you make an antialiazing pixel to break edge as I made in green square.

What do U mean about it ?

VS

The crane could have something in player colour?

mEGa

Quote from: VS on July 10, 2012, 05:35:13 PM
The crane could have something in player colour?
Good idea... May be in center of arm as a painted logo of firm ?

greenling

martin

1) complete pakset :
Why do not create another single plateform with just rail of crane and few waiting containers ? See yellow square in my screenshot ?

2) amelioration of crane design :
I suggest to you make an antialiazing pixel to break edge as I made in green square.

1) That's no problem to create.  However I made it as a single extension to make it easy to use and to prevent an overcrowded "special contruction tools" menu. Maybe station extensions can get their own sub-menu from "special contruction tools" especially with more station-extensions in the making... Another thing to work out is how to group the related parts together in the menu. 
@VS: Any opinion on this?

2) Antialiasing the edges is no problem. I'll look into that.

QuoteThe crane could have something in player colour?Good idea... May be in center of arm as a painted logo of firm ?

I'm not sure about a logo in player color since the player can choose from a lot of colors and not in all combinations the logo will stand out or look too great... A logo in itself is not the problem. Another option is to make the legs of the crane playercolor #1 and the beam playercolor #2. After all we can select two player colors.

martin

I've done the antialiasing and repainted the containercrane in playercolours #1 and #2.

greenling

VS

Fantastic! I am away for a few weeks, but you can commit, so feel free to go ahead.... ;)

mEGa

Masu

Hey!

I have been testing this addons and i found a bug.

When i rotate the map, in VS model graphics disapear.

PD: real nice addons ;), great work!

I leave here a video where u can see this addons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ekd5vybEWE

VS

The huge crane is in r963 or whatever the number is... *dies*

The truck platform is still not ready... but will be.

And there's a ton of stuff from Zeno to go through...

I guess there is no denying I abuse ellipsis, so here you get at least one exclamation mark! For diversity!
:D

VS

Doublepost, mwahaha! But something changed.

Current state of truck stop, on all roads and with all tram tracks. Please keep in mind that it is meant for asphalt roads, not dirt et al. IMHO it looks reasonable on 70 and 90 kph ones, where it is intended, and city roads too. But criticize anyway (as if you would not :P ).

screenshot:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63534647/hightruckstop-preview.png
(> 500 kB)

Zeno

These stops look very nice. I thought we were never going to have an alternative to our beloved truck stop! :)

About my stuff, I'll have to take some control of it, really. IIRC we decided it's not still the correct color on the tiles, so it was needed to render again those cranes. Next week I hope to have a little more spare time for it.

Fabio

Nice, although I would personally use the "standard" asphalt (i.e. the one used in city roads)within the loading bay marks (leaving only the central stripe for trams which happen to pass). Like this it looks fabulous on asphalted roads (and cobblestone as well), but it's quite ugly on dirt roads, gravel roads and the like.

Another thing: middle sections of the stop should have the stripes edited to have a seamless pattern, instead of starting and ending straight (which is great for start and end) and zig-zagging only in the middle of the tile.
(Something like the bus stops)
Also the straight lines should be 1.5 px thick (for consistency with all the other road marks), using a px of a darker player color shade.

VS

Hmmm. I will see what can be done about this... the list finally seems manageable ;)

So... There is a conflict. With or without asphalt included in the part with stripes?

* Without: Breaks on gravel, dirt and unknown number of potential add-ons, due to smaller width.

* With: Potentially visually clashes with different colour of roads. Not "just a ramp" any longer.

Which price do you like better / wish to pay?

A couple of author's notes, so that you understand the situation better:

Originally, I envisioned this as a piece for heavy industrial stations outside cities. It matches the structures intended for railway. For industrial settings, I expected the two asphalt roads, and tried to optimize for these. In my aesthetic view, tram tracks or dirt roads have nothing to do around this. That the sidewalk fits is a nice coincidence, since all roads share the same dimensions of driving area. I am currently contemplating another road, to match all the pieces, which would have very bright surface compared to these, and might work great with this. Adding a solid piece of road would mean another choice, this time between dark asphalt ant the hypothetical lighter surface. Either way, the result ill not look so well in the other setting.

Still, it is impossible to tell people what to do with this in game, so all Fabio's points cannot be dismissed. So I am torn. I have my perfect idea how this should work and look, but it seems impossible to have.