News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Simutrans on windows XP?

Started by Hami, September 16, 2008, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hami

Hi,
I recently came upon simutrans and it looks like a good game, however I can't seem to get it to load up. I downloaded the windows executable, and used the pak64, but when it loads it stalls and crash's.
is there anything I can do to get it to work? Or am I doing something wrong  ???

DirrrtyDirk

Probably the latter.  ;)

Make sure you extract both zip files so...

• that you get a folder "simutrans" that contains (among other files and folders) the simutrans.exe file
  • and that the folder "pak" is located directly in that simutrans folder (=> simutrans\pak - not simutrans\simutrans\pak or such!)

That should do it.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Hami

Thanks, but i am still having problems,
As it is, my folder has simutrans and the "pak" folder placed into the "simutrans" folder so the directory is simutrans/pak.
Now when i try and run simutrans it crashes

DirrrtyDirk

Well, what does the error message say?

And what versions of Simutrans and pak did you download and from where? Maybe they are not compatible with each other...

Hami

the error message is the standard "Simutrans has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."
i tried to get the latest stable ones i could find, so i have the "simuwin-sdl-99-17-1" and "simupak64-100-0" if im making any sense

thanks for your help so far

DirrrtyDirk

Well, simupak64-100-0 is - as the name implies - made for simutrans v 100.0 - not for 99.17.1

Make sure the numbers fit, then it will run.

EDIT (for clarification):

You cannot freely mix program versions and and pakset versions. Choose the program version as you like, and then take the corresponding pakset-version. So, if you decide to play Simutrans 99.17.1, you also need a pakset for 99.17.1. And if you decide to use Simutrans 100.x you will need a pakset for that version, too.

Colin

Not sure what your folder actually contains. It should be something similar to this. PAK64.100/Simutrans/config/font/pak/config/scenario/sound/text/text.

The 1st is the name of the version you are playing. Simutrans contains the exe plus various other files. The 1st Config contains the basic 'simuconf.tab file. Font is self explanatory. Pak contains the pak files. The 2nd Config contans various .tab files that you can change. The rest are more or less self explanatory.

You should get the latest nightly revision (actually r2014 is the latest that works properly). From http://www.wernieman.de/simutrans/index.en.html
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.